6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Well I picked up my CE late November from up in Scotland.

Posted Image

After finding a hole under the rear seats that needed welding I thought it was time to start tarting her up.

I have 2 weeks off work, and the following has so far arrived and needs fitting.

Gaz Shocks
New rubber cones
Strengthened front tie rods
Focal Speakers
Alpine Amp
Slot Mag Wheels
New Cylinder Head (Benross)
Maniflow LCB
Maniflow twin box system
Twin HS4 carbs
Lots of sound proofing
New Interior

In addition to that, the inside of the floorpan needs a good rub down and paint, along with the odd bit of rust here and there.

So when the weather improves I'll start!!! (I have no garage)

#2 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well Day 1 of the Easter outdoor Mini Challenge.....

Having no garage and living fairly far up north meant it was rather cold to be working on her today - so ski socks on and several fleeces and I venture out - we had a few snow flurries during the day which was sub-optimal......but anyway

I wish I'd brought a grinder before now......

First of all the rear wheel arch was a combination of waxol and rust.....

From
Posted Image
To
Posted Image

the sill area and associated area of the floor was in a similar mixed state - so cleaned up with the grinder and undercoated.

The floor has been rubbed down and repainted
Posted Image
and some new sound deadening and soundproofing has been added.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also removed the dash and all the old felt, lower dash rail, heater matrix, radiator (what a faff) ready to paint the front half of the floor tomorrow then sound proof the inside of the bulk head.

As light was fading I removed the front wheel to replace the damper, rubber cone and tie rods and and the lovely surprise of suddenly adding front brakes to the list of things which need doing - caliper well and truley seized :(

#3 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Brave man working out side today..cold enough in my garage :D
look's like you've made a good start..keep thinking summer drive in your finished clubby that'll keep you warm :lol:

#4 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Day 2 - yet more snow showers and baltic winds.

Well today was one of them slow days.

Struggled to get the castle nut off the drive shaft - my 18" break bar wasn't having any of it, so I ended up going out and buying a 36" one instead - wow what a difference!

Then I struggled to get access to the upper arm nuts - when I finally got them off, I couldn't get the bolt out, welcome my new best friend (2nd to the new breaker bar!)
Posted Image
great at reaching where hands can't.

Then I struggled and currently failed to remove the bolt from the tie rod (hub end) it just will not turn or knock out - ahhhhh.

Then I moved to the other side of the car, and realised Ive parked it too close to the wall, and it's now on 4 axel stands so tough....the castle nut on this side made the other one look easy, thought I was going to break the 36" bar - but alas it came off, and thankfully the tie rod bolt on this side is moving.

Tomorrow I need to get the tie rods off, and prepare everything so I can just bolt on the new suspension/brakes.......

#5 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Day 3 (Wed) - well some more snow showers on and off, but for one minute I did see some sunshine - for a second or two!

Well bought a proper ball joint splitter this morning, the scissor type, so quickly I managed to remove the stubbon tir rod bolts, all was going well to I came to the passenger side, tir rods on this side, easy, brilliant I thought, no problems, the upper arm bolt if far easier on this side - I'd already removed the radiator - then I spot the gaitors on the steering rack -split - bugger - then I notice the inner drive shaft gaitors - splt - f*** bugger - so by the end of the day, drive shafts removed, and track ends loosened - now off to Minispares to spend £££££££

#6 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Day 4 (Thursday) - road trip in non mini car to minispares :)

Day 5 (Friday)

Well after yesterdays shopping trip, it was time to get my arse into gear. So first off drive shaft gaitors. Firstly I removed the wrong end of the drive shaft, so had to refit all the balls.
Upon reassembly all was going well till I had to screw in the plate which holds in the upper arm. Bloody clutch arm made in a right PIA - must have taken me an hour to get the far screw in.

But finally I have the front right side with 3 new gaitors, new track rod end, new tie rod, new rubber cone, new damper - and brief.

I finished the day off by starting to sound proof the boot.

Something strange did happen today though, the sun came out and I had to take me jacket off for a while, then we had another snow shower!!

Tomorrow, same as above for the left side, get the wheels back on, and let the new suspension start to settle while I await some new calipers.

#7 Mr.P

Mr.P

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well on day 6, something else went wrong the nut wouldn't go back on the swivel bolt - and with being Easter weekend, the new swivel kit didn't arrive till Thursday, but excitingly it arrived with the new brake calipers, black gloss dash and new carpet!!!

So with a few days off, I turned my attention in the interior . I was planning on a complete new interior but not sure I can justify the ££ at the moment. So the plan is to change it from black (doesn't go with a brown car in my eyes) to something of a similar tone. Ebay bargain acquired, some seats for the grand total of £8, in a 80's beige flocked type material. The front ones will obvisouly fit fine, but the back one with have to be modified to fit the estate. Also another ebay bargain was the 3-prong classic steering wheel for £10 - needs a refurb.

So, the steering wheel from
Posted Image
to
Posted Image
and finally
Posted Image.

While the rear seat back went from
Posted Image
to
Posted Image

I'm taking a risk with the wheels, as they were in good condition, but the silver they were coated in seemed to modern, and I kind of want a mirror shine on my wheels, so....
Posted Image

The door cards and trim panels went from being the orignal brown, to black (previous owner) and are now
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users