#16 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

well i've had no problems with my MOT. one year i went in with 58,000 miles. the next year it only had 12 miles as i'd fitted an electronic speedo instead.

#17 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

As others have said. Clocking is only illegal if it done for dishonest purposes. Or at least that was the case when I checked a few months ago.

If you are rebuilding the car reset the clocks to zero if you want - it'd be nice to see the mileage that you do in the car. So long as you record the previous mileage and inform any prespective purchasers in the future, you are not doing anything wrong.

However don't forget it becomes fraud if you are dishonest about it.

#18 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

That was one thought i had. Take photographic evidence of the original mileage (even keep the original clock) then start from 0 with a new set, always take both sets of clocks to MOT's etc then just add them up and explain? Or is it not worth the hassle?

#19 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

i think as long as ypou are not doing it to be dishonest then it is fine. tell the MOT that you had to put new clocks in. simple as. when/IF you come to sell the car then you can show the resto pics to a potential buyer.

#20 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, there will defo be plenty of pics!! Making a whole scrapbook, even gonna make a slideshow with music on DVD of the entire project! :ermm:

#21 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

I tend to agree that it's not fraud unless you misrepresent it. All the official forms that ask only ask for the 'recorded mileage' or 'indicated mileage', they don't ask for actual mileage travelled or anything. It's not official, it's just to gauge an idea of when the car needs servicing and how worn out everything is. After all, miles travelled in reverse dont get recorded do they? If it was an officially required thing then odometers would come with tamper seals on them and be government calibrated like speed limiters and tachographs are and they don't.

#22 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

i see no problem with this. i am currently restoring mine, i have bought new clocks and because i will be purchasing a new (recon-ed) engine and box i will be setting the mileage at 0. i'll keep a record of its previous mileage just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users