9 replies to this topic

#1 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

my mini is pulling to the left and the steering wheel is set to the right when going in a straingt line. i hit a grass verge, sand bank, cerb and rock (not all at the same time!)

Now if i steer right then stragiten up then my wheel will be straight, and if i steer left and then straighten up then my wheel will be laft. :teehee:

#2 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

get your tracking checked, although you may have bent something.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

Could be a bent tie rod or suspension arm. Have a look at each suspension peice and make sure that everything looks straight. Use a straight metal ruler, or similar to help you. Also make sure you haven't bent a wheel. Might also be worth getting your tracking looked at.

Although by the mount of things you've hit it doesn't sound like you use the steering wheel much anyway! :teehee:

#4 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

i have heavy duty tie rods.

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thats nice to know, you could still have bent one, or failing that bent something attached to one. Best bet is to look and find out.

#6 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

i have had a look and i cant see anything that is bent. could it be my subframe?

#7 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Sounds like a steering rack problem, this could cause the steering problems you have described, although im not sure this would make it pull to one side, just make the steering very sloppy. Did these issues appear at the same time or did one follow the other?

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Mine did this soon after I got it, as you would turn left or right the steering wheel would be slightly out in what ever direction you had just turned.

Have a look to see if the clamps/2 nut each side that hold the rack to the car are nice and tight,
If you lift the front carpet you will find one on the passenger side and the other one near to the steering column on the drives side.

As it could be like mine, every time you turned the whole steering rack would move.

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

If the wheel can be in two different positions while traveling straight ahead then something must be loose. Probably the steering rack pulling itself accross the bulkhead but check absolutely everthing else as this could lead to serious danger. If the rack is moving it could be that the bolts are a bit loose or bent or that the nylon packing has gone missing. Be thorough in checking this.

#10 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

thanks, ill check the steering rack as my steering is very sloppy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users