9 replies to this topic

#1 LittleMissMini

LittleMissMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

My first question for you all. I brought my Mini out of storage today, it's been in the garage under a cover for the winter. The tyres were a bit flat so I sorted that out. It started first time too :ermm: The problem is that when I drove it out of the garage there was a horrible noise coming from the rear driver's side wheel. Sounds like I'm dragging something along behind me, sort of a metal like sound. I never left the handbrake on over winter, just left it in gear. The rear wheel is rolling freely. Any ideas ? Thanks

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Take the wheel off and have a look. Could the handbrake lever has come away, could be the hub nut cover rolling around inside the wheel trim if it's fallen out. Could be anything really. You need to have a look. It could be just that your brake shoes are uncentered and pumping the pedal a few times will even it out but taking off the wheel and drum isn't hard and will tell you for sure what's up.

Edited by Dan, 19 April 2006 - 06:20 PM.

#3 LittleMissMini

LittleMissMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

OK, I'll jack it up and take the wheel off tomorrow and have a wee look. Its like a scrape noise, had a look under the car but nothing is hanging down. Thanks

#4 LittleMissMini

LittleMissMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Just wanted to get some advice as to what it might be before I went looking but not knowing what for lol. It never made the noise before.

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

If you can, try changing drum shoes. I'd personally take it for a short drive and use the handbrake to slow down (don't suggest doing this fast nor slowing down from speeds over 10mph). I've had a similar problem with my car, but I can't say it was a very loud noise, it was just a small scraping noise which was the shoe rubbing on the drum which for some reason changed size (probably coated with surface rust or something) while in storage. A few braking sessions sorted it out.
Also when you take the wheel off turn the drum by hand and see if the noise is there. If it's not then its the wheel rubbing against something!

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

Just wanted to get some advice as to what it might be before I went looking but not knowing what for lol. It never made the noise before.

It's cool, ask anything you like. That's what we do here. Never feel bad for asking a question, it's much more foolish to assume you know without asking. This time there's no easy, obvious answer so you'll have to investigate but most of the time there is.

Incidentally, sooner or later Jammy will realise you are a new girl here so keep on your gaurd.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

:ermm:

#8 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

It's cool, ask anything you like. That's what we do here. Never feel bad for asking a question, it's much more foolish to assume you know without asking. This time there's no easy, obvious answer so you'll have to investigate but most of the time there is.

Incidentally, sooner or later Jammy will realise you are a new girl here so keep on your gaurd.

Dan's takin the backdoor, removing potential competition at the same time :ermm:

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

Yea, I've heard alot about Dan and backdoors... :w00t:

Little Miss, have you ever heard the story of the friendly shark that was also really handsome and funny? :ermm:

#10 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

jammy_basturd Posted Today, 09:34 AM
Little Miss, have you ever heard the story of the friendly shark that was also really handsome and funny?

Enough about me Jammy.... thanks for the intro :ermm:

It sounds as if there is surface rust on the inside of the drum, a short drive and pull the handbrake gently a few times should clean it up..

:w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users