#61 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Well, I got the block and box reunited last week, sorted out the transmission gears and end floats and put the transmission housing in place. Was one bolt short though, one must have got lost when we separated the engine. Got the bits I needed today, so I'll carry on tomorrow and get some pictures up.

#62 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Right, I had a long question about the engine-to-transmission studs/bolts, but solved it, so edit is that I've removed the question.

I'm up to assembling the new clutch now. Is there any way to correctly centralise the clutch plate without the correct tool? I don't want to use best guess because of the imbalance it could cause in the flywheel.
Also, the AP, verto clutch kit I've bought contains 6 chunky bolts with threadlock. I presumed they were the clutch plate fixings, but they're too large. They do fit 4 threaded holes on the reverse of the pressure plate, but don't see what benefit they'd give. Any idea what they're for?
I'll add a picture so it's clearer what I mean.

Edited by maieth, 09 June 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#63 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

RWHoCmYM_original.jpg
Clutch kit with bolts provided - clearly, bolt way too large for the 6 holes I assume they're intended for.

LR+FRgK__original.jpg
One of the bolts alongside one if the original 6, removed from the old clutch pressure plate.

The new pressure plate, clutch plate and bolts were supplied together, so not sure why they are the wrong size

#64 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

They are for the centre boss not the outside.

AC

#65 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ok, cheers AC. What do they connect up to? They don't appear to line up with anything? Or is something missing that I'm going to need?

#66 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ok, stupid question. Found it. Old one is still attached to old pressure plate. Any clever tips on how to remove it? The old bolts are veeeeeery tight!

#67 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Well like the new ones they have thread lock on them so they will be tight. No trick really just got to get them out!

#68 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Okay, I'll figure it out somehow.  If all else fails, I'm getting the cylinder head refurb'ed properly by machinist this week, so might see if they can swap the centre hub over too.

Next question's a real quick one. Do any of the transmission housing bolts or flywheel cover bolts need threadlock as a necessity?

Not trying to avoid it, but equally, I don't want to start daubing it onto bolts that don't need it.  Can grab some later today if its necessary.

#69 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Right. Cylinder head's done, and while it was in I got the centre hub swapped onto the new clutch pressure plate.
It's a whole new clutch, so am I correctly informed that I'll now need to assemble the whole flywheel and clutch assembly and get it rebalanced before fitting it to the engine?

#70 maieth

maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Bump?
Can anyone confirm whether or not it's necessary to rebalance the flywheel and clutch assembly as new parts have been fitted?
Also, has anyone got any opinions on lightening the flywheel at this stage? Originally I was going to keep the stock flywheel to keep the budget down, but if it needs balancing anyway I want to see if lightening is worth doing.

#71 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

Yes and no - the clutch will be factory balanced, and even if you do balance the whole lot with clutch plate, there is no guarantee that the clutch ever lines up in the same place twice.

#72 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

I would advise getting it balanced, I'm not sure on lightening though, probably only necessary on performance engines

#73 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Being someone how actually machines and builds a reasonable number of flywheels and clutches I can say that even stock ones can be miles out of balance the factory items had such a huge variance. You will notice a difference on balancing any flywheel.

Ac

#74 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Being someone how actually machines and builds a reasonable number of flywheels and clutches I can say that even stock ones can be miles out of balance the factory items had such a huge variance. You will notice a difference on balancing any flywheel.

Ac

Agreed with the flywheel 100%....but what do you reckon on the clutch assembly? I've never seen any sign of them being balanced though i'm not saying they aren't. 

#75 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

When I say flywheel I mean flywheel and clutch as one assembly. The centre plate is not included in the balance.

AC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users