kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi all,

Basically I have a 71' clubby estate and I was building a a-series turbo lump.

But now swaying to towards a idea of a vtec conversion.

Can someone tell me of a ball park figure I would be looking at to do this conversion, before I go mad and start spending loads of money and then I will defiantly be in the dog house with the wife Posted Image.

Also if someone is near my area and that has a Vtec conversion can take me for a spin in there motor, so I can feel the type of power I will be looking at. I am based in Hounslow, near Heathrow. There will be some drink tokens to who ever can take me for a spin in there car.

All help is really appreciated

Thanks

Bobby

#2 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hello Bobby,

Ball park figures are hard to justify. Depends on what kind of spec you want to go for, do you have wiring knowledge? Ability to weld? Any kind of ways to fabricate stuff?

But i would say a minimum of £4000. I have no idea how much i've spent, but i've been skint for about 6 months now, just putting as much of my money into the project. All i can say is do your research, look through the projects on here and make a list of all the things that are necessary e.g. Subframe, engine, wiring, driveshafts etc etc then look at the things you would like to add such as final drive.

Kieran

Oh and Heathrow is a bit of a trek for me, maybe when i've finished i'll make a trip out of it :thumbsup:

Edited by KieranB, 18 April 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#3 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks a lot Keiran, how far are you in your project is there a link to you build thread?

#4 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

This is something I am really keen to do in the near future too! The thought of such a reliable engine in a mini is just so tempting! But I prefer to take headaches out of any projects I do so if I were to do it I think I'd cheat and just buy one of the full kits from that British minitec distributor... (Forgotten the name of them but maybe someone else could post it?) I know it's quite a bit more but the thought of the whole thing coming assembled and ready just too slot in and everything working and designed to work together is just brilliant to me.

#5 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

This is the link you want: http://plusmodmini.co.uk/

#6 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yeah! See that whole one purchase and everything that's need is there and assembled! Just sounds great. That not tempting to you kappa?

#7 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

I know I can do it a lot cheaper than that though, the most expensive cost will be the engine for me

#8 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

That link i've never seen before, they are selling Minitec stuff in the UK. Aint seeing any prices but i can imagine they are gonna be extremely expensive. if you are wanting something so easy then stick to a-series, the vtec conversion, although is very popular, is still not a walk in the park.

The link to my build thread is on my signature, i'm about 70% there, got an update coming this weekend with a little bit of luck

Kieran

#9 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

That link i've never seen before, they are selling Minitec stuff in the UK. Aint seeing any prices but i can imagine they are gonna be extremely expensive. if you are wanting something so easy then stick to a-series, the vtec conversion, although is very popular, is still not a walk in the park.

The link to my build thread is on my signature, i'm about 70% there, got an update coming this weekend with a little bit of luck

Kieran

http://plusmodmini.co.uk/products/minitec-d-series-vtec-conversion-kit-for-classic-mini/minitec-mtd-jdm-engine-package/

http://plusmodmini.co.uk/products/minitec-b-series-vtec-conversion-kit-for-classic-mini/minitec-mtb2-jdm-engine-package-deal/

http://plusmodmini.co.uk/products/minitec-k-series-vtec-conversion-kit-for-classic-mini/minitec-mtk-jdm-engine-package-deal/

Prices are at the bottom.

You think that's really expensive for what's there?

#10 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Oops didnt see that there

Personally i think it is quite expensive, if you were to look at all those parts individually i'm sure you would save yourself quite a lot of money, especially sourcing them in the uk. I was tempted by these kits but after reading up on the threads here no matter how simple the package may seem, you will always find something not right and mods to the mini are inevitable. There will never be a plug and play vtec conversion.

The way i thought about it is if im doing a conversion i want to say i turned every bolt on the car and with exception of the engine internals i've done that so far.

Shop about is all i can say, look at allspeed for example and watsons rally

Kieran

#11 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Ive spent aboy 2.2k but im not fully done yet!

#12 ScudY23

ScudY23

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

Im going the vtec route myself bobby but i have found someone that has decieded not to go ahead with their project so im getting the lot from him : complete allspeed frame, driveshafts, cv joints, engine and box and a **** load of other things, ive picked the lot up for £1900 but just the frame and gubbings around that price new.

Gotta sort the body out first so gonna be a long road ahead due to the fact ive never done this stuff before

#13 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Im going the vtec route myself bobby but i have found someone that has decieded not to go ahead with their project so im getting the lot from him : complete allspeed frame, driveshafts, cv joints, engine and box and a **** load of other things, ive picked the lot up for £1900 but just the frame and gubbings around that price new.

Gotta sort the body out first so gonna be a long road ahead due to the fact ive never done this stuff before

Well if you decide not to go ahead with it and to sell on, gimmie a shout!

#14 ScudY23

ScudY23

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I hope i dont come to that stage mate to be honest, im in no rush atm and the mini aint going anywhere. P.s please u know how much i payed now anyway lol

#15 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I hope i dont come to that stage mate to be honest, im in no rush atm and the mini aint going anywhere. P.s please u know how much i payed now anyway lol

Dam! Was worth a try ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users