kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi all,

I am in two mind of what to do, either a vtec or k-series, so weighing up the options first before I take the plunge and start buying things.

I have been looking, but cannot find anything on the forum, maybe typing in wrong things.

Basically I have a 71' clubby estate and I was building a a-series turbo lump.

But now swaying to towards a idea of a k-series, maybe even a turbo. Although which engine do I go for:
Do I make my own frame from my twin bolt mini frame or do I buy one and if so where do I buy from?

Can someone tell me of a ball park figure I would be looking at to do this conversion, before I go mad and start spending loads of money and then I will defiantly be in the dog house with the wife .

All help is really appreciated

Thanks

Bobby

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Bobby.

You can do this conversion with a 1.8vvc engine for less then a grand if you build your own sub frame.

The 1.8 and 1.6 don't take kindly to being turbocharged.

The 1.4 (Be careful what one you get though) will take kindly to turbocharging.

That was with forged pistons, drag slicks, and a little bit of head work to lower compression. Oh and a clever clutch cobbled together with parts from standard clutches if i`m correct...all done on an impressively low budget.

330hp on the dyno but the man whom owns the car thinks that a bit too much of a false number and thinks its around 280hp.

Personally I think the gear ratio`s of the k-series are much better then the b series honda swaps.

#3 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks a lot Sam, when you say be careful about the 1.4's what do you mean are different versions? if so which do I need if I want to turbo it?

Also in regards to the subframe, my welding skills are not the best, so if I am to buy one, where is the best place to buy from? Unless some near me can weld me one to suit the k-series?

Cheers

Bobby

#4 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Physically all the blocks are the same, so your fitting will be no different.
Bolting on a turbo is a separate issue and will need some adjustment but having a clubman front you shouldn't run into trouble.

1.6 and 1.8 share most parts and unless you're building for monster power then you don't need the thicker sidewall of the 1.4.

For example, the 1.8 turbo fitted to the ZT and Rover 75 is built for 200bhp but factory detuned to 150 for tax bracketing, ZandF tuning will unlock it for £50. That's a 1.8turbo K series all on stock parts.

The other consideration is that the ECU isn't very flexible to tuning, so if you want to start moving away from stock figures you'll need emerald or similar, which is another expense.
The difference between a 150bhp mini and 200bhp mini is academic, you'll scare the bejesus out of anyone in the car with you and surprise all but the most hardened of other drivers in either, the only real difference will be seen on the strip and then it's down to drivetrain and launch as much as anything.

You really need to nail down what the car will be for, if it's purely for convenience of a modern mile munching engine then anything north of 100bhp will be sufficient to propel you. If you want a mean ass chav killer then it'll probably still do the job, but if you just want the biggest numbers you can get ditch the K series and put a v8 in the rear.

As Sam says, if you're doing all the work yourself and have patience in sourcing parts it can be done pretty damn cheaply. If you're not skilled in fabricating and welding and in a hurry, expect the price to rise sharply.

It's a touch outdated, but this covers all your basics:
http://www.16vminicl...read.php?t=8625

Minitec and Allspeed make frames that fit under standard length fronts, Watsons will need some tweaking to a clubby on the bumper area, as they use modified metro / mg frames whereas Allspeed and Minitec are built from scratch.

Edited by Skortchio, 19 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#5 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thanks a lot Skortchio that is a big help

#6 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Keep an eye on my build kappa you ideally want a full donor car like me I've just bought a mg zr160 for 500 ill be building my own frame so I have everything I need in one car I'm hoping all in with steel new rad and pipes I can do it for around 800 mark but ill get some back from breaking the zr and then scrap value of the shell. If your not going to build the frame your biggest consideration is allspeed frames retain mini running gear where as watsons use metro/mgf so all new gear is required plus your limited to wheel choice. Ill be keeping my mini gear and running my 10" wellers it will knock off my top end but getting there will be very quick with a short gear change

Darren

#7 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Cost wise, I was aiming to complete the conversion for less than £500, i made it for £230. I've made my own subframe and drive shafts which has helped keep the cost down a lot
I'm now aiming to go turbo for less than £500, which currently stands me at about £400

#8 BlackJester

BlackJester

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

If you want a k series 1.6 I have one for sale just pm :)

#9 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Sorry mate, I went down the suzuki route now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users