15 replies to this topic

#1 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hey all, the day has come for me to make and fit my brake lines, because I need to make every line and I'm fed up of borrowing stuff I've decided to buy some kit for the job.

I was originally going to just fit braided hoses all over to avoid having to bend and flair the pipes ect but then I seen the price and figured I could just get the kit needed for roughly the same price.

So a couple a questions pipe bending tool, any one got one of the cheap-o ones off ebay,from what I can see you just need to wrap the pipe around a radius, or is there more to it than that?

And the flaring tool I guess you can get sets, where did you guys get yours from and are they any good?

Trac

P.s while I'm here can someone let me know what diameter pipe I need, the end fitments/couplings and material that's legal in the uk, - I could look it up but seems as we're here.........

#2 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Just seen this, it claims to do everything http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cae98bcfc

Anyone used one? I don't have too many expectations for £11

Trac

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Proper pipe for brake lines is cunnifer! Don't use copper, it is likely to fail as its not suitable for lots of pressure cycles!

The problem is, some motor factors are selling cunnifer as copper brake lines!

You can tell the difference in the colour but I can't remember which is which!

#4 Gulfclubby

Gulfclubby

Gulf Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Local Club: Berner Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I got a flaring tool a few years ago for little money at halfords. that worked fine. A straight flare like the one on ebay is not going to do anything for you. You need to have the little dice to shape the flare properly too. As or the bending, you can get a pipe bender at halfords too, but most mechanics I know just do it by hand instead.

#5 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks guys, cunnifer does ring a bell, ill look it out, is it 3/16 pipe I want?

I found this video on YouTube, ignor the fact he's a waffling American but it is quite useful he explains about the single and double flair you mentioned Ben

Trac

#6 Willthewelder

Willthewelder

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

The type flaring tool with the clamp up die are the b***ocks they don't slip like the one piece ones. Cunifer has a blackis sort of finish it is copper and nickel I believe. Copper is a really bright almost pinky colour and extremely easy to bend.

#7 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

i brought a silverline flare kit had all required bits but wasnt the greatest, will pay to look out for easy flare lines and dont forget to use a bit of grease, and plumbers mirco bender will work fine, can prob pick a cheap one up from bnq but be carefull not to go over 90 degree as some cheap one flatten out pipe

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Kunifer or CuNifer is a copper nickel alloy, it's is more difficult to bend to shape than copper tubing but lasts pretty much for ever. The problem with copper tubing is that copper work hardens i.e. vibration or movement makes it brittle (which is why it is not a good idea for brake pipes).
Picture shows Kunifer at the top and copper at the bottom (picture from morrisminorowners)

Attached Files

Edited by FlyingScot, 21 April 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#9 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Thanks will

Here's the right stuff I think

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=p5197.c0.m619

The only other thing I need to sort is the nuts that go on the end, I'm guessing there's only two options, metric and imperial? I think I've got a mix of both on my mini because I've fitted a servo and disc brakes to a mk3

Anyone know the metric and imperial sizes - and what the proper name is for the brake nuts :)

Trac

Edit - thanks guys, looks like I took too long writing my reply and you'd already replied

Edited by tractor, 21 April 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#10 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Not to worry, I love this forum sometimes, it's got everything you need

The sizes used on the Classic Mini are.....................

3/8"unf
M10x1
M12x1 (Only Yellow tag master cylinder though)

However as above the majority are 3/8"unf

Also you have male, female and different seats so for each size you could have 4 combinations (except the M12x1 as there is only one type used)

Making a total of 9 different flare ends.

Would I be alright to double flare everything? Why are there different flare options?

Trac

#11 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

The type flaring tool with the clamp up die are the b***ocks they don't slip like the one piece ones. Cunifer has a blackis sort of finish it is copper and nickel I believe. Copper is a really bright almost pinky colour and extremely easy to bend.

You are right about the colours. The only problem with this is if the copper is old stock, then it may be so dull it looks like cunifer! It can be a nightmare. Best bet is to buy from somewhere who sells a lot and who you can trust. An old trick I was told was that copper bends easily if you hold a bit between two hands but don't use your thumbs, cunifer won't. In practice I could only tell the difference when I had a piece of both!

#12 Gulfclubby

Gulfclubby

Gulf Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Local Club: Berner Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

the type of flare used is determined by what kind of connection the flared pipe goes into. If the receiving end is concave, the flare used will ideally be different than if the receiving end is convex. The goal is always to have mating surfaces that will create a tight seal without restricting the flow of the liquid the piping is supposed to carry. think of it like this:

===== > >======= and ======< <====== and not === > <==== or =====< >======

#13 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks guys I'll order up the parts ans see how I get on

Trac

#14 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

Another thread resurrection!

Machine Mart sell a good flaring cutting set. It's the same kit as the one in the Youtube video above. Loads of manufacturers re-badge it, I wonder who originally made it.

https://www.machinem...RC-pipe flaring

Where is the best place to buy the Copper Nickel pipe and fittings ?

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

I'd recommend the one that Frost does, actually a pair of tools, one imperial the other DIN (metric). You can use it in tight spaces on the car, but you can also clamp it in a vice (without the bolts) for speedy use off car. A small pipe bender is really useful for making a job that's not only neater, but less prone to fatigue as your lines will be that bit straighter and shorter between the supports.

Tip: doing the bolts up lightly makes a pipe straightening die out of your flarer, or you could drill a suitably sized hole in a block of wood to draw it through.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users