Photo

Scabby Scabbingtons Advice - New Doors? Reskinning? Grind And Fill?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danm

danm

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Local Club: Stringfellows

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Summer is approaching, and I need to start repairs on my mini. It's 1989 and smells like a coal miner on a Friday night. Hopefully (though unlikely) these aren't just the tip of the iceberg...

I got 99 problems - (here's just 5)

1) Door skin is split next to where the drivers side mirror sits, at the top lip where the window slides. Is this something that would be easier to just get a replacement second hand door? Or would this need reskinning? Or can something this small be grinded and sanded to investigate further and possibly just a little welding job to ping it shut once sanded back?

2) Usual scabs below the headlamp. Think when removed, some investigation and general rubbing and grinding can get most of that out. 

3) Bubbling in front of the scuttle. I expect loads of scabs to appear soon, but the scuttle itself seems sound both sides (the photo shows algae and dust not bubbling!). The front part is where its going. Sanding down first to investigate?

4) Bootlid at the bottom is also bubbling in patches. Same on the passenger bottom door. Grind and sand, expected areas really.

5) Tasty pitting on those bumpers! Will do a tin foil job for pleasure, but will get replacements in due course.

6) Engine bay is riddled with drilled holes from whoever had it last. I dare not think how many different grilles its had, its like swiss cheese. General rust in patches, but otherwise quite tidy for a non-modified automatic. Even the asbestos and A+ decals are readable! I'm removing this engine and fitting a manual 998, so access to the rest of the bay for further rust inspection will be possible.

So my questions are, how bad do these patches look on first opinion? From what I have seen elsewhere, fingers crossed, they aren't half as bad as what I have seen elsewhere!

Attached Files

Edited by danm, 30 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

It depends if you just want it to last this summer or a long time? The door skin you should be able to wire brush the rust out hammer the split flat and reweld that joint. The wing tops the rust will have started from inside the wing from the wash of the tyres so any remedy won't last long same with the front panel joint the rust starts in the seams and by the time you see it its beyond rust treatments. For the summer brush and grind back any rust treat fill and paint for the long term replacement panels

Hope this helps darren

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

As already said , if its just for the summer then clean up weld where required fill then paint.

Looking at the pictures you will be needing a new drivers wing, a boot skin and the door skin will need to be investigated further but i will put money on it needed a new skin.

Again the bumper could do with a good polish for the short term but its rusting through so replacement will be needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users