161 replies to this topic

#121 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Big moment last night! The Jiffy moved under its own power!!

Im waiting for new bolts for the water pump pulley so I only ran it briefly but all seems good on the clutch!

I also started to fit the dashboard, I ran into a few electrical gremlins though. After unplugging the wiper switch and plugging it back into the dash it no longer worked and none of the lights on the speedo work either. Ive tested the loom with a spare speedo unit I have and all the lights work on that so I think the pcb may be corroded. Im going to remove the unit and test it. I also noticed while testing the rear lights that I have the tail light and stop light functioning together on one side regardless of which function I actually use so I must have a joined wire somewhere in the cluster.

Getting very close now! I am away this weekend unfortunately but I still have two weeks till MITP.

#122 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I had a chance go look at pcb on the clocks last night and its so heavily corroded it's not worth the effort to rescue. I have a spare 2 clock dash I can use from a later car which will hopefully do the trick. The tpm is 1300, and the original unit is 1280 so that shouldn't make a monumental difference hopefully!

#123 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

I appear to have booked an MoT for next week... Kind of had to given that MITP is next weekend!

#124 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Major update time!

The water pump pulley is fitted, fan on (the right way round) and the radiator is back in. I replaced a hose clip as it was crusty and skipping teeth. I also fitted the bypass properly, which wasnt even tightened when I took the old pump off!

Next up was the wiring for the front lights. I had to remove the bonnet to do it, brought it into the dining room table, which my girlfriend was really impressed about!

Wired up the right-hand side.

DSC_0523_zpsp1z0thyb.jpg

And the left-hand side.

DSC_0524_zpsullkhotu.jpg

And fitted to the car! All that was needed then was connecting it to the fuse box I fitted on the bulkhead.

DSC_0525_zpsrxlidtha.jpg

I put a 3 amp fuse in for the sidelights which wasnt enough and it blew so after replacing with a 5 amp fuse. I have light!!

DSC_0526_zpsrrthnnzr.jpg

Indicators work too! Unfortunately I now have a problem with the hazards flashing really quickly...

This morning was a big moment. I took the Jiffy out of the garden!

DSC_0527_zpsuhb4e4ux.jpg

This gave me a chance to give it a little run up the road! I couldnt resist! Needless to say it ran like a total dog. It was misfiring, backfiring, and spitting through the carb quite drastically. Turned out the cause of the problem was this...

FB_IMG_1439039513019_zpsiub2ci0a.jpg

Luckily the locking nut was still there but it has basically screwed right the way out and the exhaust valve couldnt open. Once I sorted it I put a new set of spark plugs in and she ran sweet as a nut. No backfiring or anything!

I took it for another blast down the road. What an absolute hoot! Noisy, slow, one hell of a bouncy ride, and great fun! The brakes seem to have an issue where they need pumping once before actually using them so I think there is still air in the system.

So here we are now!

DSC_0529_zpsvec8aahc.jpg

I still need to put the dashboard in. I need to re-bleed the brakes. And then its ready for the MoT on Tuesday!

Edited by Tommyboy12, 08 August 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#125 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Love it!

#126 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

The dashboard went in yesterday at long last!

DSC_0535_zpsepvunuvg.jpg

Youll notice my high-tech solution to the washer pump. Turns out I bought one that hasnt come from a Mini so it doesnt fit the switch panel. Of course I didnt find that out until I tried to fit it yesterday...

I also didnt find out until yesterday that the speedo doesnt work... I tried to get it to work but there is something amiss. The cable isnt snapped, the ends looks square, and the speedo works. So im fearing the worst that the speedo gear in the gearbox is knackered... Unfortunately as its an MoT failure

Ive cancelled the MoT until I can fix it...  :(

#127 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Is the speedo a failure?

I didn't think it was..

#128 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

It has been for a few years and the garage I was going to use drives it to the station so would spot it

#129 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

so it is!

I didn't know it had changed.

Every day is a school day and all that..

#130 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

I have a feeling its the pinion drive in the gearbox. Ill find out tonight when I take the speedo cable out (again)....

#131 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

Two hours under the bonnet and it's sorted. The brass collar on the cable had come free and the cable itself was moving up and down inside it's sleeve and not engaging on the speedo drive.

#132 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

bet you wish you had kept the MOT appointment now

#133 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

I do but its not the end of the world. Nearly there!

#134 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

And it failed...

Nothing too serious. Too much play in the steering column, brakes need adjusting, manifold gasket blowing, and it doesnt have a front bumper.

Ive asked the garage to price it up as I wont have the time to do it and get a retest done before the weekend.

#135 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Not a bad list. Hope it gets sorted in time!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kit-car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users