Photo

0 Gaue Power Line

Best Answer Ruckus , 09 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Cut some strips of plastic out of a ice cream tub or something. About 2 or 3 inches 10/15mm wide.
Fold it over the cable and put a self tapper through the plastic and in to the floor or mounting holes in the sub frames.

Done. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

There's no way in hades that it's going to fit in the original clip thing to stop it hanging free under the car.

So to you chaps that have upgraded the big 3, did you run the power cable inside the shell from battery to starter or fit some kind of hooks to hold the cable in place underneath?

Cheerios

#2 shivi_d92

shivi_d92

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

been wondering the same thing for a little while now! i was thinking about running it underneath thinking that if a normal power cable can handle the wear and tear, im sure an expensive 0gauge could do so too

#3 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:39 AM   Best Answer

Cut some strips of plastic out of a ice cream tub or something. About 2 or 3 inches 10/15mm wide.
Fold it over the cable and put a self tapper through the plastic and in to the floor or mounting holes in the sub frames.

Done.

#4 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Done.

Perfect, cheers dude!

#5 freshairmini

freshairmini

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

The alternative is proper metal P-clips for 0-gauge cable. https://www.google.c...0&bih=809&ion=1

aut_p-clips%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by freshairmini, 09 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#6 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

The original wire that runs along the underneath fits inside the folded channel and is protected.

Are you planning or making a similar channel as protection to save this massive cable from being damaged and shorting out?

I Run it inside.

Cheers

#7 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Screech, that's why I was asking :)

Although as long as it's clipped up in place I can't foresee any situation it would be able to get damaged at least none that wouldn't put the rest of the underside of the car in a bad state - covert attack by angle grinders maybe...

#8 shivi_d92

shivi_d92

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

just out of curiosity, which 0awg would you be running??

#9 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Erm... red? Don't remember the brand itself, the sleeve is transparent red. Possibly Vibe or Stinger but don't quote me on that.

#10 shivi_d92

shivi_d92

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

did you get this done in the end, im about to do mine in the next couple days, just wondering whether you ran it underneath in the end and if anyones got any pics?

#11 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Ordered some P clips today, going to pin it along the underside of the car. Will get some pics when I do.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Personally I would say that if you can't armour it, put it inside.  The standard cable is already a problem if it gets ripped underneath as it can allow massive currents and cause a fire.  The steel channel provides armour for the cable.  Fitting a cable of twice standard size and leaving it loose is asking for trouble.  It will be more likely to get hit by something, and will have no protection.  It will also allow the battery to heat up even faster than the standard cable if it does short out.  If the rest of the underside of the car gets a serious scrape, then it gets a bit bent and the exhaust twists or the brake or fuel lines crimp up and need to be replaced.  If the cable gets a scrape you potentially loose the car very quickly, battery explosions aren't pretty.

Edited by Dan, 15 May 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#13 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I can see what you're saying, Dan. But it's a bit "absolute worse case scenario" to be fair, isn't it.

The standard cable isn't armoured it's full length, only a short mid section along the centre of the car so even running a new power cable through the body you'd have the same risks at either end.

In terms of the underside of the car getting a serious scrape, that would have to be some scrape! One that completely detaches the exhaust first, which sits much lower and is large enough to still be an obstacle that can damage the cable. I can't really envisage something that could cause that kind of damage that wouldn't also come with a huge list of other very serious risks anyway.

Of course if you have a very low car and the cable is the lowest part then yes, there is a large risk but in that case you also have a risk of your fuel lines being a problem too.

If the option is available then there's no reason not to run the cable through the body instead except the risk of another point of ingress for water, but how many cases do we hear of people tearing off power cables? I've never seen one on here or any other forum thus far.

#14 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Just had a thought.

If you're concerned about the protection of the cable you could easily fashion a conduit for it to run through out of 2-3mm aluminium and affix that to the car underside.

Of course any impact of enough force to tear the exhaust clean off is going to make short work of some ally tubing but in that situation you probably have other problems :P

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

I can see what you're saying, Dan. But it's a bit "absolute worse case scenario" to be fair, isn't it.

Well no actually.  Damage to the main power cable comes up fairly often in the technical section.  Usually the damage only provides a partial circuit through the body and flattens the battery but we have had people complaining of quite serious problems due to this in the past.  MPi cars have armour plates under the floor protecting the battery cable and the brake and fuel lines where they cross the end of the floorpan, as well as the cable channel.

Edited by Dan, 15 May 2013 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users