6 replies to this topic

#1 AC&SONS

AC&SONS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

I've got a worsening water leak and some orangeness is starting to creep underneath the windscreen so I want to take it out to investigate. My question is will I need to renew the chrome strip that separates the rubbers or can it be saved for when the windscreen goes back in? If not, I'll get one from Himley tomorrow.

Thanks

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

they do become brittle, but bit of care they are re-useable

#3 AC&SONS

AC&SONS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Decided to buy a new chrome strip from Himley, so now I just need some guidance in terms of the removal and refitting process. Any tips?

Slightly worried regarding the possibility of breaking the screen, so any advice would be grateful. Do I need to put any silicon in the rubber when I put it back in to make sure the leak is cured?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

#4 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Fit the rubber into the screen apperture first, use a squirty bottle with a strong washing up liquid and water mix and spray around the rubber giving it a good soaking.
Drop the screen into the bottom of the rubber, then using a suitable tool (I use a plastic wedge) work your way around the edges of the screen folding the rubber over the edge of the screen, really try to avoid the temptation to use screwdrivers to do this.
Fitting screens gets easier the more you do, so be prepared to struggle a little if this is your first.
You will need the correct tool to fit the chrome finishing strip, available from minispares quite cheaply, again, lots of water and washing up liquid will ease insertion.

Good luck :)

#5 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Sorry for hi jacking but...can you replace just the chrome locking strip without having to remove the glass and rubber?

#6 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Sorry for hi jacking but...can you replace just the chrome locking strip without having to remove the glass and rubber?

Yes

#7 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users