5 replies to this topic

#1 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

I have MK 11 fiesta callipers and all other necessary parts bar the hoses and I’m about to get the machining done on the hubs – before I do I’d like to know if it is 100% necessary to drill the threads out of the hubs as a posed to the calliper.

I understand that there is not enough clearance between the disc and the caliper mounting to put the bolts through the calliper and screw into the hubs - hence having to drill the hubs out rendering them useless other than for the fiesta conversion, I'd like to be able to revert back to mini brakes (either when the g/f passes here test - insurance or when funds allow the purchase of alloy 4 pots).

It looks to me as if I can take the calliper apart by undoing the two posts that the outer part of the calliper slides on. If I do this then surely I can attach the static part of the calliper to the hub without the clearance issues, attach the disc, then reassemble the calliper around it. I know this would result in having to dismantle the calliper and remove the disc to get the calliper off - but this is a small price to pay for being able to return to a mini braking set up without sourcing new hubs.

Any ideas would be much appriciated.

#2 Chewy

Chewy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

Hey

i have just done the conversion all you need is

Brake disc hubs
Fiesta Calipers With Carirers
2 8.4 Discs turned down to 7.9
metro turbo drive flanges
and the brake hose apdaptors which i got from a plce callled think auto www.thinkauto.co.uk

find the threaded apaptors page hen click on various then find the adaptor that says 3/8 to m10.1 it is called a caliper adaptor

These are alot better that 4 pots or 7.5 copper s

Thanks if you need for info just email me thanks

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

its not a clearance issue that is the problem.

the hubs are threaded and a mini caliper is not ergo the bolt screws into the thread in the hub. the fiesta caliper has the thread in it and th esize required is too big a size for the bolt to go through the mini hub.

no machining is required on the hub (apart form drilling out the threads that is).

the machining is needed on the fiesta claiper carrier so that i sits in line with the mounting holes on the mini hub

once you have drilled the hubs you will have to change the hub for new/replacement ones if you want to go back to mini brakes

#4 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

some pics here:

http://www.theminifo...x...14432&st=80

http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=7909

#5 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

looks like this the website that b chewy is talking about:

http://www.thinkauto.com/

loads of different adaptors and ways of doing the conversion. banjo's etc

#6 Chewy

Chewy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hey

DONT BUY THE ADAPTORS THEY ARE RUBBISH THEY DONT SEAL IF YOU USE BRAIDED DRUM BRAKES HOSES THEY WILL SCREW STRAIGHT IN TO THE CALIPER AND THEY DON'T LEAK

IF YOU WANT SOME PICS OF MY FIESTA CONVERSION LET ME KNOW AND I WILL POST THEM UP MANY THANKS

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users