31 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Just had my renewal through from Footman James. 

Im 22 and they insured me no prob before, with an engine change and all mods declared, agreed value at £5k.

My renewal says they're changed their policies now and won't be able to insure me again. Anybody else had this? Whats changed? 

I'm gona ring them next week and ask them anyway but was just wondering if this is a wide spread thing or something to do with my mods/age/valuation?!

#2 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Your age they no longer insure under 25's

#3 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

hi footman james wouldnt isure me to and i am 22 they said i am to young for the age of the car.. 

#4 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

It's BS

They offered to reinsure me last year at 18 with KGM brokers I think they were called

Just make it up as they go I think

#5 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I am 31 and went to insure my 998 with a stage 1 kit and alloys and they would not insure me, and i asked the reason why and they said there policy has changed now and does not insure cars with mods now.

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Footman James are owned by AON so they reflect the diktats of their owners.  I previously insured three early 911's through them, all declared with a roll cage and all on classic policies.  When I approached them about covering my Mk 1 (with a roll cage fitted) they declined saying they could no longer cover this type of modification.

Now I am so old I still have the red flag my man used to carry when walking ahead of me.  I live in a low risk area and have never made an insurance claim.  Their loss, but it does make you wonder why they are still advertising if they no longer want the business.

Incidentaly, got an excellent quote from Adrian Flux, with all mods declared........

Bob

#7 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sounds retarded to me, they'll lose the majority of their classic car customers doing that. Or end up with more people not declaring mods just to get insured. 

Looks like adrian flux will be my next port of call. They offered me a quote last year but it was about £50 more than FJ, so I went with FJ. Do adrian flux do agreed value policies? 

#8 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Was with Footman James for about 20yrs on my bikes, classic ( BSA A65 and D14 Bantam ) and modern ( Kawasaki ZR7 ). Last year was informed that they would longer insure the Kawasaki because they no longer insured modern machines. Done me a favour saved about £25 (Benetts)  Footman James aint the company they used to be.

#9 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Same problem - under 25 and they don't insure a Mini Van.

When I was 17/18/19 there were 5 of us with Minis - if insurance companies want to throw away easy money then go for it, no sympathy.

#10 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

They defiantly aren't the same as what they used to be.

They stopped insuring under 25's (used to get around this by calling them up) although youngsters used to take classic car policies out - IMO it was a huge market as insurance else where is absurd! (they want you to have a main car and the classic car as a second car) so they soon stopped that. They did however offer my sister insurance on her Morris minor which. Don't understand - and she's under 25 (supposedly Morris minor specific policies)

Recently i saw something about them now insuring minis again but they've got a whole bucket load of criteria to meet.

Look at Adrian flux and also Lancaster.

#11 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Also, they stopped insuring my dads modified van - they wanted like £1500 each for his two main cars... I found insurance for both for under £1500...

#12 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Try greenlight :proud:

#13 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

as bob said they've been owned by aon for a few years now, hate to say it but as a former aon customer they look after you well :-) 

and if anyone thinks fj are being fussy you should see the criteria to have a classic policy with aon!!!

#14 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Looks like adrian flux will be my next port of call. They offered me a quote last year but it was about £50 more than FJ, so I went with FJ. Do adrian flux do agreed value policies? 

Yes Adrian Flux do agreed valuation policies and I believe that many of their policies are underwritten by equity red star, which is the same underwriter that Footman used to use before things went down hill recently. Peter James is another good one to try, (which is who I went with after footman refused to insure my Mayfair following an engine swap!)  they also do agreed valuation policies. R&H classic are also good, but as I understand it, your car has to be garaged overnight to qualify for an agreed valuation policy with them.

Edited by AVV IT, 19 May 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#15 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies, seems a shame as I thought FJ were great before to get young drivers in classic cars on the road. 

I'll try the other suggestions and see what they same. My cars not garaged though so hopefully I can get an agreed value without that requirement!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users