#16 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

dont forget that if you were insured with them before on a classic and want to take your business elsewhere, you wont have accumulated any no claims bonus, and no one will accept a letter from them saying you have never claimed.

this is the situation im in, fortunately im 31 now so they will still cover me. however as i have only ever had classics from day one, and always insured with them, i cant afford insurance on any car with another company now. other companies think if your 31 and have been driving this long, but have no ncb then your trouble! the quotes i have been given are mental!

mk1 metro forevermore then by the looks of it!

#17 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Someone in my local club moved onto proper insurance from their first year with classic and managed to get them to accept a written letter for a years claim free driving

I think he asked to speak someone(manager maybe) when he rang up the insurance company

Probably tried this though lol

#18 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Edited by petehuws, 20 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#19 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

The lack of NCB is pretty much standard with most classic policies and isn't particularly unique to Footman. Classic policies are really intended for second/hobby cars, so there is usually no NCB associated, because it is assumed that you will have a non classic daily drive car on a separate policy, and that all you're no claims will be tied up on that. A classic policy is therefore supposed to give you an affordable premium for your hobby car that doesn't involve any no claims element, both in terms of calculating the premium and earning any discount. That's not to say that you can't use a classic policy for your every day drive classic, just that as you're not using it as it is intended, then it probably won't have the associated benefits that you come to expect with a standard policy.

This is crazy!?!?!  I insured with Footman James on Wednesday last week (15 May).  I am 37, declared mods of Hi-Lo's, KYB shocks, Maniflow exhaust/LCB, 165 tyres, & K&N cone filter, again 8yrs no claims discount is on my daily driver so had nothing for this insurance but still insured £173.

Sorry what's your point??  :unsure: 

You're over twenty five and insuring a very mildly tuned car, in which case Footman will still be fine for your needs and will probably provide you with a pretty competitive quote too. The issue here though is that they are no longer insuring under 25's on competitive classic policies and also seem to be refusing significant performance mods.

#20 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

The lack of NCB is pretty much standard with most classic policies and isn't particularly unique to Footman. Classic policies are really intended for second/hobby cars, so there is usually no NCB associated, because it is assumed that you will have a non classic daily drive car on a separate policy, and that all you're no claims will be tied up on that. A classic policy is therefore supposed to give you an affordable premium for your hobby car that doesn't involve any no claims element, both in terms of calculating the premium and earning any discount. That's not to say that you can't use a classic policy for your every day drive classic, just that as you're not using it as it is intended, then it probably won't have the associated benefits that you come to expect with a standard policy.

This is crazy!?!?!  I insured with Footman James on Wednesday last week (15 May).  I am 37, declared mods of Hi-Lo's, KYB shocks, Maniflow exhaust/LCB, 165 tyres, & K&N cone filter, again 8yrs no claims discount is on my daily driver so had nothing for this insurance but still insured £173.

Sorry what's your point??  :unsure:

You're over twenty five and insuring a very mildly tuned car, in which case Footman will still be fine for your needs and will probably provide you with a pretty competitive quote too. The issue here though is that they are no longer insuring under 25's on competitive classic policies and also seem to be refusing significant performance mods.

Sorry bud, the point was they recently insured me on a modded car.  Reading the string completely suggested that the have ceased to insure any mods now on cars regardless of age.  Cheers

#21 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Sorry bud, the point was they recently insured me on a modded car.  Reading the string completely suggested that the have ceased to insure any mods now on cars regardless of age.  Cheers

No you're right, the'yre still ok with mildly tuned/modified examples, (stage 1 kits, upgraded heafs/cams etc), but they seem to refuse to insure if you approach the double the original BHP figure with any mods. In my case they were happy to insure my MG metro powered 1275 sprite, but when I dropped the exact same MG metro engine into my Mayfair, they refused to insure it, because the mayfair started life as a 998!!

#22 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

NCB discount is not a problem for me, I have a second car earning and using my NCB for that. All I need is all mods covered, on an agreed value of £5k for under £800 like FJ did for me. 

I'll be ringing round tomorrow I think

#23 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have been on the phone to them this morning as I had a letter saying to renew I had to phone up as they had changed terms and conditions. All it was in the end was they wanted to know about my engine change (998 to 1275), the woman starting asking questions like who had done it etc and was genuinely surprised when I told her I had done but had it checked by an independent garage so I could get the log book changed. I told them all of this last year too.   

#24 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just spoke to FJ, they said the people who insured me last year through FJ were Royal & Sun alliance, and they're no longer doing classic policies for under 25's. 

So i'll be looking elsewhere for my renewal then!

#25 petechap

petechap

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

try arian flux im 21 and they have insured me, on a classic policy for a very reasonable price considering my colourful driving history, i get loads of good extras like being insured 3rd party on anyone's car providing they give me permission which is not bad for a 21 year old. My car has basic mods like arches, stage 1 ect and it didnt even really increse my premium

#26 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

try arian flux im 21 and they have insured me, on a classic policy for a very reasonable price considering my colourful driving history, i get loads of good extras like being insured 3rd party on anyone's car providing they give me permission which is not bad for a 21 year old. My car has basic mods like arches, stage 1 ect and it didnt even really increse my premium

I'm 23 and fully comp on my Audi and Adrian Fux won't let me drive another persons car 3rd party!

Could you post who your underwriter is please?

#27 petechap

petechap

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'm 23 and fully comp on my Audi and Adrian Fux won't let me drive another persons car 3rd party!

Equity red star and its on "the mini scheme" by Arian Flux. I'm 100% sure its 3rd party because I made the guy on the phone confirm it about 5 times out of disbelief, I said so I can drive any car as long as I have their permission, this is confirmed in my printed out documents    

#28 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Equity red star and its on "the mini scheme" by Arian Flux. I'm 100% sure its 3rd party because I made the guy on the phone confirm it about 5 times out of disbelief, I said so I can drive any car as long as I have their permission, this is confirmed in my printed out documents

Cheers, maybe a few phone calls to be made methinks...

(they must love me, I phone them as part of my day job and I phone them in my free time)

Need to check who my underwriter is first.

#29 petechap

petechap

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Cheers, maybe a few phone calls to be made methinks...

(they must love me, I phone them as part of my day job and I phone them in my free time)

Need to check who my underwriter is first.

worth a try mate worst they can say is no

#30 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

They have lost my business, my renewal was way overpriced and nothing had changed. im now with heritage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users