#1 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

I am going (hopefully) to change the front suspension cones on a Mini 30 over the weekend.

I have read harry haynes and I am a bit confused, is the aim to use the cone compressor just enough to withdraw the top arm pin forwards or am I missing the point completely

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

I'm not sure of your technical expertise, so forgive me if I explain this a little too simply.

The cone compressor screws into the rubber doughnut. The rubber doughnut sits on top of the trumpet. At the bottom of the trumpet is a ball (called the knuckle) that sits in the top arm. To remove the top arm you have to remove the downwards pressure the rubber doughnuts exerts down through the suspension. So you screw in the cone compressor, and the tighter you screw the compressor in, the more it compresses the doughnut and the less pressure it exerts on the cone and the top arm, until you get to a point where you can either remove the trumpet, or take out the pivot pin and remove the top arm.

#3 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:29 AM

That is brilliant, who do you do for a living? - A Harry Haynes copyrighter

PS: I am mechanically inept - got a tool box now I think I am a mechanic! - WRONG

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:59 AM

Lol, not a Haynes copywriter, I just happened to do exactly this Thursday night when I was breaking down a subby+engine.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

It's a spring compressor. You can't take apart loaded suspension without hurting yourself. You need to take the load off the components by compressing the spring first.

Edited by Dan, 29 April 2006 - 05:28 PM.

#6 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yes well all going well. four hours later ..... and I have succeeded in doing the NSF! .. hoping the OSF will be quicker

#7 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

OK, done the front ones, now I am stuck on the rears, I prised the trumpet out after removing the top mount on the shocker, and it appears the cones are glued onto the trumpet. Loads of Oil and swearing its come off, leaving lumps of rubber on the large dome where the thread is.

Do you use the same cones front & rear because I have FAM 3968 X 4.

I would appreciate anybodys comments on this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users