47 replies to this topic

#1 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

moderators feel free to move, but Ill start a thread to share my painting experiences. 

bought the paint and consumables today. 2 litres tweed grey celly, 500ml oew for the roof, 5 litres high build primer, 1 litre etch primer ( may need more yet), anti bloom thinners, panel wipe, tak rags, filler, masking paper and tape, mixing cups, and a disposable painting suit, £180.

Ive had my eye on one of the woodsheds for a compressor house, this will give me more room in the garage, enable it to breathe clean air, eliminate explosion risk, and the long airline will enable any oil and water vapour to drop out of the air supply.

Ill try and keep the thread updated with any positives and negatives, and may ask for advice so keep your eyes peeled please lol

Attached Files

#2 mini-reub

mini-reub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Very nice colour combo, will be keeping an eye on this thread as I've got this to do soon..ish

#3 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Good luck with the painting.

#4 Miniac86

Miniac86

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Love the grey, good luck with the paint job.

#5 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Interesting will keep an eye on this one too.

Just out of interest what mixture celly/tinners will you be using?

#6 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

When i used celly I done 50/50 for the first few coats then final 2 were 70% thinners 30% paint to help it flow and get a near flat finish. Got a great finish! I used 1 litre unmixed on my roof to I had plenty on and enough to flat and polish up.

#7 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Nice thanks Dan.

Matt

#8 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

what Dan said. didnt get anything done over the weekend, spent most of it at a local vintage and steam ralyy casting my eye over other peoples paint jobs. Im sure I will be able to do better than a few !

#9 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

daft question time.  If I were aiming  to paint the car with a view to obtaining a gun finish without the need for wet flatting and comppounding, I would need to temporarily fit the doors, bootlid, and bonnet , and spray them all at the same time would I ? this would mean spraying the door, boot and bonnet shuts and the insides of the boot bonnet and doors separately.  is this a done thing, or should I just spray the shell, and the boot, bonnet, and doors separately, and accept the need to wet flat and compound to get a matching finish ? 

#10 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

took the bootlid back to bare metal tonight and acid etch primered it. Im not sure whether its had a replacement bootlid at some point as it had black primer underneath the paint layers. 

used a polydisc, they are superb, had the paint skimmed off in ten minutes with no effort. welded up a few number plate holes. held  backing tab on the back, plug welded the holes onto the tab, then ground the tab back from the back. 

nice to be able to make a start, wasnt planning on the resto taking this long but it has meant warm dry days and light nights for painting 

Attached Files

#11 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

daft question time.  If I were aiming  to paint the car with a view to obtaining a gun finish without the need for wet flatting and comppounding, I would need to temporarily fit the doors, bootlid, and bonnet , and spray them all at the same time would I ? this would mean spraying the door, boot and bonnet shuts and the insides of the boot bonnet and doors separately.  is this a done thing, or should I just spray the shell, and the boot, bonnet, and doors separately, and accept the need to wet flat and compound to get a matching finish ? 

I'm no expert painter but either way I think I would still wet sand and compound as it brings the shine out mostly.

#12 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

bootlid high build primered tonight. bootlid hinges and number plate lamp housing back to metal .  

Attached Files

#13 black olive

black olive

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

bootlid inside high build'ed. hinges and lamp housing acid etched and high build'ed. Oh and the interior is painted. phone ate my pictures though so Ill take some more. looking swish though !!!!

#14 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

was wondering about this.

#15 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Looking forward to seeing the photos. Gonna have a go at doing my Mini one day  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users