Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent Brake Fail

brakes

Best Answer Captain Mainwaring , 31 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

I wouldn't change the master cylinder yet. When you finally get a pedal, does the car stop OK without excessive effort?

(it should)

If it does, then I'd start looking at adjustment/wheel bearings, both of which will give you that lost motion you mention (not saying air wouldn't either) but the "when reversing and making tight turns" pushes me towards adjustment and wheel bearings, with wheel bearings being first on the list.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bingo95b

bingo95b

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi All,

I have had this brake problem for quite a while.  When easing into a parking spot and especially when i run in reverse, i depress the brake pedal and it goes in almost all the way. When I press it again, it firms up and brakes like normal.

while driving in traffic (stop and go) or for long periods of time at higher speeds, the brakes seem to work fine.

Have tried bleeding (several times, unless there is a different way to do this, i have gotten all the air out)

I have an 1978 belgian mini special 1100, the front brakes have been converted to discs, and no servo with the single line (looks like a can) master cylinder.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

It sounds like

1) There is still air in the system - did you use an eezibleed or did you & a mate do it manually?

2) If that's the original master cylinder it might not be fully up to the job of operating the calipers - there might not be enough fluid in the system. You need the larger one like this:

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

#3 bingo95b

bingo95b

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

Me and a mate just did the bleed.  Will have at it again this weekend.

and yes its the original master cylinder.  If that is the case, then i will try to get a replacement soon.

Thanks!

#4 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:41 AM   Best Answer

I wouldn't change the master cylinder yet. When you finally get a pedal, does the car stop OK without excessive effort?

(it should)

If it does, then I'd start looking at adjustment/wheel bearings, both of which will give you that lost motion you mention (not saying air wouldn't either) but the "when reversing and making tight turns" pushes me towards adjustment and wheel bearings, with wheel bearings being first on the list.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Assuming the pistons are not being pushed back by a slack wheel bearing then it points to the master cylinder and I'd change it.

#6 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Given the symptoms - I'd leave it and check the other potential causes first.

Of course it can't hurt to change it anyway, but it would look silly if the symptoms still persisted afterwards.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Having done this conversion i replaced the old master cylinder with the larger Cooper S version to mirror the Cooper S spec.

When you did the conversion did you ensure the wheel bearings were seated correctly within the hub and also the correct torque loading?? 

When i bled mine we did it as per Mr haynes book and an old BMC workshop manual i had. We went round the car several times before all was good. Also i changed all of the old flexi pipes for Aeroquip Stainless braided items and overhauled the rear drums and replaced the slave cylinders on both sides.

We used both an Easi bleed and also the old manual method as well. If you are not leaking fluid anywhere and there is no air i would have a look at the front hubs to see if everything is correct there. You may have to disassemble the hub and check out the bearings to see that they have seated correctly.

#8 bingo95b

bingo95b

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for all your help. We disassembled the hub and found that the nut with the split pin was loose and that the rod that it screwed into had lost some of its thread. A quick visit to one of the junkyards yielded a replacement and after repacking all the bearings, everything was fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users