Photo
- - - - -

New Mini owner, lots of ?'s Pro's, please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TEM

TEM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

I'm from Canada, and I just bought a 1985 Mini Mayfair, 998cc which came from the UK a while back and I got a whole wack of questions. I would really appreciate it if some of you pros can help me out.

The car runs and drives but I noticed some problems with the suspension. The rear ride height is high(you can see a few inches gap between the top of the tire and wheel arches, while the left side is atleast 1" lower than the right. The front is way low, no gap seen between top of tire and arches. When I have 2 people in the front and tried to make a tight turn, I hear rubbing. What do I do? Replace all cones and struts? or Just front ones? cones? struts? what about the rear height difference? Is it better to go with rubber cones or should I bite the bullet and buy coil overs? Hi-los? huh?

Where is the dipstick and drain plug for the engine oil? How much oil and what kind does it need and when do I change it? (never had a car that shared tranny/engine oil).

How do I know if it has a unleaded or leaded head? The guy whom I purchased the car from said he bought it but never used it much but he did put in unleaded fuel. I never owned a carburated car before. Makes a lot of smoke with the choke on (starting), And while driving, it makes a lot of smoke when I rev hard. Is that normal?

I hear someone telling me one of the wheel's nuts might have a left hand thread? is that true? which one? How much tire pressure is needed? It has stock steel rims(10"?) with the ugly plastic hub caps.

It did not come with an owners manual. Anyone with a url link for a guide to operating/maintenance?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Minis are meant to be higher at the rear than the front, but not by too much. It probably needs new cones if it's that low and new knuckles help while you're at it. The struts don't wear and don't need replacing unless damaged. If three corners are low then I'd change all four, at least always change them in axle sets. Rubber springs are fine, coilovers cause other problems. HI-Los are adjustable length struts that allow you to alter the suspension.

The dipstick is in the centre front of the block, unless you have an auto in which case it's in the top of the torque converter cover. Drain plug front left of the sump as you look at it. Quality multi-grade. 10W40 or 20W50 in England, don't know which would be better for you but I suppose it depends on which part of Canada you are in. It ususally sparks a debate when anyone starts talking about oils anyway. If it's an auto change the oil and filter every 3000 miles without fail. On a manual, 3000 is ideal but if it's not driven hard and you are using good oil it will last longer.

It's leaded as standard, don't know about fuel or additive availability over there but I'd say stick with leaded or additive until you are sure whether it needs unleaded or not. The only way to be certain is to take the head off and check, even then it can be tricky to see with a properly fitted set of seats.

None of the wheel nuts have a left hand thread, it's not a truck! Rear stub axles / hub nuts are the only handed threads. 10" rims should be something like 24psi front, 26 psi rear but as standard there are different pressures stated for different tyre sizes so it does depend on what rubber you have fitted.

You have already found the best website for Mini ownership and maintenance, the fabulous Mini Forum. :D

#3 TEM

TEM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

Dan, Thanks very much for taking the time and answering my questions! Thats gonna keep me going for a while!

#4 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hi TEM, what part of Canada you from?

#5 TEM

TEM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies