9 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Is there an MSA approved list of manufacturers or is it a case that it is only the AFFF content which is mandatory?

I ask because there is a huge difference in price (under £20.00 delivered for a 1 litre hand-held and CE marked, around £35.00 for a 2 litre to three or four times as much) and I suspect that most are just priced to match the badge!  The plumbed in units are far more expensive of course but probably because there is no mass market to keep prices down.

Nobody questions the need or value of a fire extinguisher within easy reach, but if there are no MSA/FIA stickers needed then perhaps this is one item where money can be saved.

Puts on hard hat and awaits storm of criticism about "You can't put a price on safety".

Bob

#2 smiffy

smiffy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Hull and East Yorkshire

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

I only hillclimb/ sprint so don't actually need one but through choice I run with a 1l handheld next to me should it all get a bit excitable.

I bought a 1l AFFF one off ebay (£20ish) and the dates/ quality seem fine. I think that the date is probably far more important than spending a fortune to be honest, as with any extinguisher.

If I had to run a plumbed in one, I would probably be looking at the JJC ones and the likes of. The quality is going to be there and it wont break the bank.

I guess the thing is though, its safety, so buy the best you can!

#3 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

have a chat with Merlin Motorsport at Castle Coomb they'll help you out, I bought one from there £68 quid is relatively cheap compared to other outlets. My view was get a decent extinguisher you'll be glad you paid a few more pounds if you ever actually need to use it

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.  Does the MSA have approved manufacturers or is it a case that only the content (in this case, AFFF) is mandatory?

Bob

#5 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: North Wales Car Club

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.  Does the MSA have approved manufacturers or is it a case that only the content (in this case, AFFF) is mandatory?

Bob

Bob

No the MSA do not have list of approved manufacturers ... they specify AFFF or Zero 2000 to the minimum requirement for your discipline.

If you haven't a MSA Blue Book you can check out their website at www.msauk.org

Hope this helps

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Rob.  The regs for hand-held are quite vague although the Blue Book says there are MSA approved kits for plumbed in systems.

Cheers,

Bob

#7 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Bob

I competed in stage events and for hand held all I have is a single 1.75litre AFFF and a 2 Kg Halon (for emergencies) and have had no problems with scrutineers. The plumbed in is a basic Lifeline Clubmans purchased years ago (serviced/checked annually) when Halon was banned.

If you are concerned contact the MSA who will put you in touch with a local MSA scrutineer.

Rob

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Bob

I competed in stage events and for hand held all I have is a single 1.75litre AFFF and a 2 Kg Halon (for emergencies) and have had no problems with scrutineers. The plumbed in is a basic Lifeline Clubmans purchased years ago (serviced/checked annually) when Halon was banned.

If you are concerned contact the MSA who will put you in touch with a local MSA scrutineer.

Rob

Zero2000 is the trademark name of Lifeline's AFFF range.

I know its more expensive but the difference between the Zero360 range and Zero2000 range. Id never use a foam extinguisher given the choice.

I wouldnt be advertising you have a Halon unit in your vehicle by the way, unless your rallying a plane (Halon is only legal in Aviation and Military use nower days)

#9 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Bob

Rob

I know its more expensive but the difference between the Zero360 range and Zero2000 range. Id never use a foam extinguisher given the choice.

I wouldnt be advertising you have a Halon unit in your vehicle by the way, unless your rallying a plane (Halon is only legal in Aviation and Military use nower days)

If it was a choice between AFFF (Fairy liquid and water) or halon, I know which one I would choose.

#10 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Bob

Rob

If it was a choice between AFFF (Fairy liquid and water) or halon, I know which one I would choose.

I do work at Lifeline I should add...

When we recieve Halon cylinders in for service, its a major headache to dispose of and the cylinders become scrap. Cylinders are only given a 10 year life aswell.

Id be going for the FE36 or Novec systems, If they are good enough for Military which we supply for, it'll be good enough for your rally car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users