6 replies to this topic

#1 maffywaffy29

maffywaffy29

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hi all! Just bought my first Mini and in fact first car of my own and look forward to picking your brains for advice and a bit of help here and there! A question I do have for starters however is about identifying previously installed parts on recently bought cars. The original car is a 1976 Austin Mini 1000, yet I have been told a 1275 engine has been fitted along with a Stage One Kit recently. Is there any way of identifying how old the engine is and any other parts that are non-standard? Also, any other standard running checks that should be carried out to ensure the beast is in good running order? Tackling the project all on my own so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is Bertie the beast in all his glory!

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Engine number still on the block? the 1275 head has the heater tap at a angle and the small bore heads have the heater tap inline. 1275s have solid block at the rear where as the 998 engine has tappet chect covers

engine picture if you have any + engine number would help pinpoint it.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm not sure he's from the class of '76, at least not in that body-shell.

If you look roof gutter there appears to be a gap (for drainage) in the corner. That was introduced in around 1980, before that there was slot stamped through the gutter and no push on moulding trim.

#4 maffywaffy29

maffywaffy29

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I've just had a look under the hood and taken a few pictures. The number is pretty worn/covered in what appears to be very stubborn dirt but I believe it reads: 

12HD09 

Does this mean anything to anyone? 

Attached File  IMG_0578.JPG   89.49K   9 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0579.JPG   92.31K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0580.JPG   72.27K   5 downloads

#5 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Engine 12HDO9 is 1275 A+ from Metro c1989
VIN no is Mini 1000 1976 to 1979

Body looks later than 1980

Looks like you got a mongrel there

#6 maffywaffy29

maffywaffy29

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Ok that's useful information, thanks! I have been told that there have been parts switched around on the car but to be honest that doesn't really bother me all that much as it is my first car! I'm sure the true Mini purists will demand original parts as much as possible! The plan is to strip the engine down completely over summer and clean it all out, with parts probably taken from another doner motor, along with many of the other parts so its looking like a real interesting project nonetheless! Looking forward to getting my teeth into something new! 

#7 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

An awful lot of minis are a mixture of bits. As you say it only matters to purists. Just nice to have an idea of the year of major units to make it easier when you need replacement parts! Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users