4 replies to this topic

#1 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie with a 1988 Mayfair (ps i'm a girl and don't know much about cars). This evening when it got dark the lights didn't come on when i switched them on, previously they have worked fine. Other problems are that the main beam wont flash or come on when triggered and the horn doesn't work neither does the rear lights or the fog light. We have checked the fuse in position 4 which we beleive connects all these lights/electrical things with a volt meter and got . -0.03 reading which tells me there is no power getting to this fuse position. We have checked over the earth wires on the left hand wing and behind the grille and there doesn't seem much wrong here. Any further suggestions as now i'm confused and don't want to drive an illegal car!

Thanks in anticipation.

#2 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

it sounds like earth troubles. take each connection off the fuse box in turn, clean it and put them back so nothing gets mixed up. mine had some seriously wierd habits that disappeared when i cleaned up all these connections. welcome to TMF by the way!

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

where did you check the voltage, on the fuse box? Check both terminals, and replace the fuse. Sometimes you can't tell visually if those glass fuses have blown.

#4 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

where did you check the voltage, on the fuse box? Check both terminals, and replace the fuse. Sometimes you can't tell visually if those glass fuses have blown.

I will clean up the connections tomorrow and try that. I checked the voltage on the fuse terminals whilst the fuse was still in place. Not sure if this was correct, however the readings I got from the other fuses seemed ok.

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

You won't see a voltage across the two terminals. You need to check voltage by having the red lead on one terminal and the black on the car body (earth).

If you see a voltage then, then you're either looking at dodgy connection to the light (could be any of them) or a dodgy relay (A big orange one by the instrument cluster on your car I think).

Chances are though, if the horn doesn't work either, then it's an "invisibly" blown fuse. (or maybe a dirty terminal on the fusebox)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users