#1 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

I really want to get rid of my SPi injector in favour of either a SU HIF44 or a suitable Weber (with modifications to the bulkhead of course).

Want I want to know is after i've fitted the carb do you reckon it would get through the emissions?

This car would be going by 93 emmision regs.

#2 flashley

flashley

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

I toyed with this idea for my mpi. But having asked around general concensus was it woudn't pass emmissions so prob illegal for road use.

I'm no expert though but wasn't the injection system put in later minis to keep it upt o date with emmission regulations?

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

Yes that's why injection systems are fitted to all cars. Why do you want to do this? It is theoretically possible but it's a headache and you'll have to be back on the rolling road every few months. If you change the whole engine to a carb model and get good documented proof of the engine's age for the MOT man then it'll be tested for that engines original emission requirements rather than those for the actual age of the car. But you need lots of proof.

Edited by Dan, 01 May 2006 - 10:08 AM.

#4 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

i was going to put an spi engine in my older car and put carbs on it, Mot test station said it would be tested on the age of the oldest part, Engine or car..(i think that was for cars built before 89/90 emmisions laws though) ... you'd still need to retain the cat on a 93 car what ever you did... and as far as i'm aware, carb engines and Cat's dont go to well, especially on tuned engines where valve overlap at idle means more unburnt fuel going through the exhaust. ive gone for an older 1380 lump instead rather than taking the chance.

#5 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

I just wanted to run carbs whilst I re built an engine. Looks like it might be worthwhile to get an older car. Argh.

I think you can get proof from BMH. Not 100% on it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users