60 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I was looking for a conversion to replace my 998 a series with a more powerful, reliable and modern engine when i saw a second hand kit available on this forum. Even though i have very little-no experience i snapped up the opportunity to get an x16xe in an allspeed subframe. The kit included almost everything required as it had been taken straight out the front of a mini that had been previously converted. I started the project after my a levels this time last year and due to work and having to re sit twice, i managed to do very little apart from take it off the road! I'm now fortunate enough to have plenty of free time and have decided that i will start a thread on this forum for your interest and also so i can ask advice and opinions when i get to tricky bits!

So far i have: taken the old engine and subframe out with all ancilaries (all of which are for sale just I'm a noobie so cant post in the for sale section? :( ) dry fitted the bare new subframe, cut the hole in the bulkhead to accept the box supplied with the kit, cut away the inner wings and relocated the brake servo to the passenger side.

Today i took the subframe out and put the engine in it and build it up so now the drive shafts are in, the hubs and brakes are attached so it is sat on its wheels ready to have the car lifted over onto it.

This is my first mini which i've now had for over 2 years and have loved every minute of it. The conversion process has been hard and a very steep(expensive!) learning curve up to this point and i fear that the worse is yet to come! the main factor as usual that is holding me back is moneyy!

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Mike, 21 June 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Look forward to your build thread mike

#3 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thanks Dave! I'll keep updating as i go and if any one wants specific photos just ask.

Attached Files

#4 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

ace.loads of pics!

#5 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I intend to use the original clutch master cylinder but am unsure how to connect this to the engine, any one have any ideas? 

Attached Files

#6 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

I looked a bit harder and had a play, turns out that the engine already has a hydraulic clutch set up but the pipe has been cut very short :( this will make it hard to flare and fit a union on but at least it can be done with out having to take the whole gearbox off which i was afraid of! i will try and fit it so the plastic cover as seen in my previous post will fit under the unions if not i will have to improvise. 

Shame its raining today or id be able to get a lot more done - Wish i had a garage!! 

Attached Files

#7 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I would try the scrap yard for the vauxhall steel/flexi clutch pipe and the try cutting and flaring that, than trying to flare the tiny bit out of the g/box

#8 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Andi, I don't really understand, how would the vauxhall clutch pipe attach to the pipe coming out of the gearbox? I am no scrap heaper so even finding one would be a mission! I quite like the idea of using unions and the copper pipe I've been using for the breaks as I know where I am with them.

#9 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

The master cylinder to slave cylinder pipe is steel type brake pipe to a flexi pipe. The flexi has a plastic unit with a spring clip and it clips on to the end of the pipe that is in your pic. You need to have the plastic on the top for it to work. It also has the bleed nipple in the plastic unit.

#10 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...4-/281115399271

This is the pipe I was on about.

#11 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Thanks again Andi, I shall have to get my hands on one quickly!

#12 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

All I would do is buy on of these and then use the unit, flexi, and a couple of inches of the steel pipe. Flare the steel pipe (which is a hard job to do without professional pipe flaring kit) run copper brake pipe from master cylinder to flared steel pipe. I am not sure if the mini master cylinder will give the correct clearance on the clutch to release it when pressed. I would modify the pedal box so a vauxhall master cylinder is used to make sure the clutch does release. That is how I plan to attack my build once I get myself sorted.

#13 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think I will try this method with the current master cylinder and see how it works and go from there! Many thanks for the advice I would be very stuck with out it! Came across a few more issues today and got a bit of work done ill post some photos when I'm back on the computer in a bit.

#14 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

If you need advice on the engines and gearboxes ask away but I am not sure about the actual conversion. I imagine it is really easy. I will find out in due course once I actually have a floor and a boot and other panels on my shell.

#15 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

I shall fire a few at you after Tokyo Drift :) the conversion seems very simple my main issue has been not having my own welder! I need another job but I only want to work on my mini :L

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users