60 replies to this topic

#31 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yeah it has matey. Its an alloy one though. Hope it works for you. I have been offered a c20xe redtop engine really cheap as the guy needs space and I know I fancied a clubman so I think it would be rude not to really.

#32 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Can't really say no to that then!! 

#33 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Keep up the work.

Are you keeping the VX ecu for the fueling and ignition? Does the powerbox you have fit with a standard bulkhead, or will it need some modification? What radiator are you planning to use?

#34 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm going to try using the ECU that came with the engine as it fits in the loom. The box needed a bit of metal to be cut away to fit, the black line on the photo shows where i cut away from but it still needs a little bit more taken away as I'm pretty sure its touching as it is. I am hoping to use the radiator i have and i don't think there's room for much else, its a 2 core supercool.

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Mike, 25 June 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#35 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Today I stripped down the majority of the dash and cut a hole for the loom on the top drivers side of the bulkhead.and have been playing with the radiator trying to get my head around how and where to mount it. The only way i can see it fitting is if i cut more away from the passenger side inner wing so i can have it mounted further forwards and down, any one have any better ideas? 

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Mike, 25 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#36 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Are you going to be keeping the solid metal front wings, or having it removable? If keeping the fixed front, even with an inner wing cut out, it would be an issue with filling the system with water. Unless you fit an inline rad cap into the top hose and fill slowly? Cannot really rotate by 180deg as the inlet and outlet pipe will be on the wrong side.

With it in its currently position, I think you may need more frontal view on the radiator, even with good ducting and a good fan, I don't know how effective it would be?

Other option is to ditch the servo, would this give you more room to fit the rad face to the front with the top of the radiator lent back over the gearbox if you know what I mean?

#37 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

For now Im keeping the standard front end as I don't have the money for a flip front. Eventually I think a flip front is the way forwards just to give that little bit extra room but I much prefer the idea of keeping the front end standard.
Ditching the servo would require a pedal box which is also abit out of reach of my budget. With a bit of work on the inner wing I think it's possible to get the radiator facing forwards more and to fill it there is a header tank (if that's the right word) which should allow the system to be filled without taking the radiator cap off, there's an overflow just down from the radiator cap which will make it obvious when it's full. I'm just going to have to keep a careful eye on coolant temperature when it eventually runs.

#38 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

You will still need brace bars in replacement or the cut out inner wings.

#39 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just looked at the dimensions for the standard nova 1.6i radiator and its 528 x 268 x 22mm. Can any one confirm this for me? If those dimensions are correct i think it would be easier to fit than the tank I'm trying to fit at the moment! I shall make up a cardboard copy and have a play and take some photos before i go and buy one! 

#40 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

This morning the clutch line arrived, i assume the top part of this is not required? The packaging lent itself perfectly to being used for a mock radiator so i made a 530 x 270 x 25 mm box which fitted surprisingly well! Admittedly in the photos its bent slightly but it showed me that the nova 1.6i radiator will fit with out too many problems! Now to find some money to go and get one! 

Attached Files

#41 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

That rad looks like it coul be a good one. You also need to include approx 50mm either side of the core for the end tanks, but looking here as an example (http://www.ebay.co.u...3-/310334675259) the inlet and outlet seem to be in roughly the right place for where you have positioned your template.......good find

#42 Mini Mike

Mini Mike

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Going by the fit of the template the end tanks shouldn't cause a problem at least i hope not! In the diagram shown in that link, is the 12mm diameter hole on the top left side tank supposed to go to the top of the engine seen in the photo? 

Attached Files

#43 hoody99

hoody99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

In that last pic those are both breathers for the engine I'm sure and on the diagram on tee bay link the 12mm outlet is for a return to the header I'm sure but may be ring on both as its been a while since I had my corsa lol

#44 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

As said above, I would have thought the 12mm hole will be for connection to a header tank.

edit: 12mm inlet I mention above is on the rad from the link in post #41, I didn't mean on the cam cover as below!!

Edited by james962, 01 July 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#45 hoody99

hoody99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

No water runs throught the cam cover and that's where the outlets are in the pic al try find out for ya as there is a corsa and a tigra in my street with these engines bud 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users