One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

Ive now got stuck in to the 16ver project - pics of work so far are at:-

http://www.16vminicl...x.php?cat=11119

i'm using an Allspeed frame, driveshafts, custom CV's mated to a C20XE engine and box out of a '93 cav gsi. i've got some GSXR1000 throttle bodies which are about 45mm ID at the head powered by a megasquirt set up.

i've nearly finished the bulkhead prep, just welding in some 2mm plate to beef up the front suspension mounts.

just deciding what colour to paint the car - currenty it is metallic BRG but want to go solid - either '60's almond green with OEW roof or jaguar dark racing green (nearly black) with oew roof?

Attached Files

#2 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

How easy do the TB's mount to the head? Looks like a cracking project. Are you using an extended front end or going to try and shoe horn it in the std one?

#3 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

cracking project maph , let me know if you need anything.

Matt

#4 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

How easy do the TB's mount to the head? Looks like a cracking project. Are you using an extended front end or going to try and shoe horn it in the std one?

i'm using a weber manifold with the suzuki inlet rubbers. these rubbers connect on to the stubs of the TB's and the other end has by luck the same mounting as the webers - all i have to do is open the bolt holes slightly! easy really.

to get the lump in, i'l going with a clubman steel front. ideally i wanted to keep the round nose but i wanted the power :proud:

#5 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

the TB end result will look something like this

Attached Files

#6 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

lol , was just going to say that looked like my setup .. then i noticed it was ! lol

Matt

#7 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

lol , was just going to say that looked like my setup .. then i noticed it was ! lol

Matt

you've inspired me! :proud:

#8 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

Love the throttle bodies mate. Great find!! I missed out on some Gsxr1000 t/b's on ebay a few months ago. They would fit my head perfectly. Ill keep them in mind when it come to upgrading my 7 port. Great looking project by the way.

#9 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Nice 1 Maph certainly looks like its going to be a scorcher. Will we see it done intime for the British Mini Showdown?

Nick

#10 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

the aim was to be at the showdown as its the local mini show to me but i'm on holiday that week for my dad's 60th b'day and anyway, the clubby won't be ready in time. :proud:

#11 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

Love the throttle bodies mate. Great find!! I missed out on some Gsxr1000 t/b's on ebay a few months ago. They would fit my head perfectly. Ill keep them in mind when it come to upgrading my 7 port. Great looking project by the way.

there's plenty of chat about using the gixxer TB's - whats important is to use the right bore size for your engine capacity. on the gixxer1000, the bore tapers from about 50mm to 44mm at the cylinder head, which i i think i about right of the vauxhall engine. some say that the gixxer 750 TB's would be better suited as it will give better low down driveability whereas the 1000's have a bit more top end.

for your a series 7port i reckon the gixxer 600 or 750s would be better matched to your cc size particularly as a lot of the kit car boys with 2L 16v engines have seen good results with the 600 or 750's. i only went with the 1000's becuase i they came across my path at the right price, otherwise i would have hunted around for gixxer750's.

pic of my stripped TB's. these have the secondary butterflys so i need to chemical metal the spindle holes up first

Attached Files

#12 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info mate. Next time my head goes in for modding it will have 45mm inlets anyway so I reckon the 1000's will be perfect. Great looking project though. Like the way youve modded a standard GM part to accept webers/throttle bodies.

#13 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

yup - 1000's will be ideal then. they'll flow way better than the dcoe 45 carbs.

forgot to say also - bought the paint today - will be 1960's bmc almond green (2 pack acrylic)

#14 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Propper oldskool :proud:

#15 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:14 AM

will look spot on then :thumbsup: a 2.0 im not totally sure i like because of the heavy front end part but the 150bhp standard and solid as srock reliability makes sense why people choose the conversion

good luck with it, whould look nice once finished especially in almond green

wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users