14 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

Usually a good way of starting an arguement on a forum...

give me your running in procedures for a newly built engine please :D

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

This is what I would do, so my own opinion.
Some nice thin oil for the first few hundred miles at low revs below 4k if you can help it, drain it. Then put some 10w40 in for about a thousand, keeping the revs low still. Then after that drain the oil for some fresh good quality oil and gently raise the revs over another few hundred miles. 1500 miles would be nice.

#3 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

Cheers,

by 10w40 do you mean semi synth? fully synth? mineral? I've never really been that keen on 10w40 since I made the mistake of trying to run the mpi cooper with fully synth 10w40 in it, it wasn't happy!! I pressume though that a mineral one will be ok?

I generally stick to duckhams 20w50.

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Stick to mineral if you can! Synthetic oils were never mean to be used in gearboxes and so can break down...

#5 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Cheers, pretty much what I thought, (after trying to run the mpi on fully synth).

I can't believe it though this is the first car forum i've ever been on that there isn't a massive war going on covereing all and any ideas for running in :proud:

#6 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Which oils are thicker/thinner? :-

and whats best to use in an engine thats always being floored? :proud:

#7 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

I would'nt use 10/40 for the sake of your gear box. A cheap tub of 20/50 mineral is fine for running in for the first 500-1000 miles
and then some better quality stuff after that. AS for running in processes I would personally ring up a few well know engine builders and see what they suggest as there are lots of different theorys.

Oh and the larger the number the thicker it is:)

Edited by Flappyplasticbits, 03 May 2006 - 10:19 PM.

#8 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:52 AM

From my understanding, 20w50 for example, 20 refers to the viscosity/rating at low temp and 50 its high temp rating, or something around there.

cheers guys, is it worth getting some running in oil from minispeed for the firt 500 or so miles?

I always wonder what people are going on about when they say get some cheap 20w50? as I though tduckhams was great stuff for minis and thats only £7.99 for 4.5L round the corner from me!

#9 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

My running in routie:

Start engine for first time and leave running 'til hot, checking for leaks etc;

Take car for a run round the block to check everything works;

Stick it on the rolling road;

Change the oil;

Then go race.

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

Cheers, pretty much what I thought, (after trying to run the mpi on fully synth).

I can't believe it though this is the first car forum i've ever been on that there isn't a massive war going on covereing all and any ideas for running in :proud:

LOL!! You should of seen a previous thread on which is the best oil for general use in an A series engine! It was monolithic! So we're all just quietly concious of it now. Its basically agreed that if you have a liquid substance in your engine with a consistency more than half-set jelly, but less than butter, you'll be fine! :-

#11 retrodan

retrodan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: kentish mini's

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

after u run it in stick castral gtx in!!! expensive but secong to none espicailly if ur engine is fresh and new!!

#12 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

after u run it in stick castral gtx in!!! expensive but secong to none espicailly if ur engine is fresh and new!!

strange you say that as I know a lot of people who wouldn't use castrol in their lawn mower.

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

If you want to know about which oils to use them do a quick search, theres been many many debates about it!

#14 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

wasn't there a link on here about how to run an engine in? something about making sure you give it some real stick to bed the rings in and stuff.

#15 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

Castrol? Yux. Lol Stick to Duckhams if you can get it.

As for running in here's what I'd do. Let the engine warm up at fast idle (1500 rpm). Then drive it around for the first 500 miles mostly under 3k rpm (an occasional trip to 4 shouldn't do much harm but still). Then raise limit to 4.5-5k rpm for next 1000 miles.
Change oil after first 500 miles. You can use the cheapest oil you can find for the running in procedure from what I hear.

I know many people swear by giving it a lot of stick to let it run at all of its operating range, but most manufacturers actually tell you to keep it below 4k or whatever (depending on car) for first so many miles. Surely them beaureacratic warranty department people know how to make and engine last for 2 years :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users