Photo

Birmingham To Cornwall In A Mini - Would You Risk It?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hey everyone :)

I have a 1993 Rover Mayfair that i am possibly planning on running down to cornwall in - around 600 mile round trip. I am getting my engine and carb tuned, the wiring checked and a general health check of the car done before i go (i dont know much about cars other than mini's are just gorgeous and so much fun to drive, hence the purchase).

My question is, would you risk the journey? (it will be about 300 miles on a friday and then 300 milers back on a Monday - with a bit of travelling in between). If so what would you take with you (car wise)?. I have the usuals ready, oil, water, petrol etc but i dont know what else to think about :)

Thank you!!

Attached Files

#2 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I would be pretty worried if I even suspected that my car wasn't up to a 600 mile trip.......

If it is driving well now, go for it but perhaps - just for peace of mind you understand - have a credit card, mobile 'phone and breakdown cover.

Enjoy your trip.

Bob

#3 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I would be pretty worried if I even suspected that my car wasn't up to a 600 mile trip.......

If it is driving well now, go for it but perhaps - just for peace of mind you understand - have a credit card, mobile 'phone and breakdown cover.

Enjoy your trip.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I have just bought her within the last 2 weeks and a few people at work have been trying to put me off saying old cars don't do well for that distance etc. I just much prefer driving the mini to a new fiesta so thought id check what you guys think - you'll probably know better than my work colleague! :)

#4 SecretSugar

SecretSugar

Sweet!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I definitely agree with Bob. If its running well, why not? Plus they are awesome for parking! The amount of times I have gone places in my "big" car and thought "Geez, my mini would of fit in that spot". I hate it when people try and put you off minis when they don't even know them nor the condition of them. I have a new astra and I have had more problems with that than my mini.

Have an awesome trip!  :-)

#5 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hi Lyndsey, as old Bob said above "If it is driving well now, go for it".  Read your earlier post yesterday about the coil trouble you had, hopefully that's all in the past now.  I'd go for it!!!

A load of us took our minis down to Italy recently, I'm taking mine nearly 300miles up to N Wales weekend after next, & over to Netherlands, Belgium, & France next month, that will be ~1200miles in 10 days in that trip.

Take a jack, check your spare tyre is OK, take a spare fan-belt, tub of water, litre of oil, some jubilee clips (larger size for the radiator hoses), some 'zip'/cable ties, and some hand tools, get some breakdown for it and then armed with all of them you should be able to handle any situation that 'hopefully' won't arise.

Don't be scared to drive your mini especially in this nice weather.  Drive safe, & smart & you all should be fine.

Good luck & most of all enjoy :-)

#6 helvis

helvis

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

In May I took my 998 from Brighton to Cornwall, we averaged around 200 miles a day travelling over 5 days all around Cornwall and Devon and back to Brighton and the only problem I had was a split advance return pipe, other than that the mini behaved perfectly. So go for it! :)

#7 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

before you go I would you go for a good run say about 60 mile round trip

see how she runs

#8 danm

danm

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Local Club: Stringfellows

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Your biggest issue in any weather is heat.

In the current weather, this will be increased.

Other than that, nothing stopping you. Just take strategic breaks to let it cool if its steamy.

#9 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hi Lyndsey, as old Bob said above "If it is driving well now, go for it".  Read your earlier post yesterday about the coil trouble you had, hopefully that's all in the past now.  I'd go for it!!!

A load of us took our minis down to Italy recently, I'm taking mine nearly 300miles up to N Wales weekend after next, & over to Netherlands, Belgium, & France next month, that will be ~1200miles in 10 days in that trip.

Take a jack, check your spare tyre is OK, take a spare fan-belt, tub of water, litre of oil, some jubilee clips (larger size for the radiator hoses), some 'zip'/cable ties, and some hand tools, get some breakdown for it and then armed with all of them you should be able to handle any situation that 'hopefully' won't arise.

Don't be scared to drive your mini especially in this nice weather.  Drive safe, & smart & you all should be fine.

Thank you :) The coil issue is resolved, just a tune up needed now for carb and engine as had new carb and filter put on it and then hopefully it should be ok.

I have taken note of those things to take - someone at work also said spark plugs? is that a bit OTT if they've recently been changed? Thank you very much!!

#10 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

In May I took my 998 from Brighton to Cornwall, we averaged around 200 miles a day travelling over 5 days all around Cornwall and Devon and back to Brighton and the only problem I had was a split advance return pipe, other than that the mini behaved perfectly. So go for it! :)

That makes me feel better :D

#11 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

before you go I would you go for a good run say about 60 mile round trip

see how she runs

I think thats what's scared me a bit. i got her from 80 miles away and she was a dream the way home. Then i have taken her about 60 miles to birmingham and back twice since and on last journey back she broke down on me - i think thats where the worry has stemmed from but that was simply a coil - which has now been fixed. Thank you :)

#12 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Your biggest issue in any weather is heat.

In the current weather, this will be increased.

Other than that, nothing stopping you. Just take strategic breaks to let it cool if its steamy.

Im not going for another couple of months (start of september) so hopefully the weather wont be as much of an issue (selfishly i kind of hope it will still be lovely like this though!!). I didn't think about that, that could be part of the reason it broke down on me on sunday - was a bit warm that day lol

#13 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Should be doing that trip myself in a few weeks down to St. Ives if your Mini is in good order it'll be fine. I recently did over 1200 miles in little over a week. Wolverhampton to Dunfermline and back then Wolverhampton to London then onto Brighton (L2B) and back.

#14 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Should be doing that trip myself in a few weeks down to St. Ives if your Mini is in good order it'll be fine. I recently did over 1200 miles in little over a week. Wolverhampton to Dunfermline and back then Wolverhampton to London then onto Brighton (L2B) and back.

#15 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thank you :) The coil issue is resolved, just a tune up needed now for carb and engine as had new carb and filter put on it and then hopefully it should be ok.

I have taken note of those things to take - someone at work also said spark plugs? is that a bit OTT if they've recently been changed? Thank you very much!!

I don't think there's a need to take spare spark plugs, I carry a spare HT lead but hese things fade out over time rather than immediately stop working, if spark plugs, & HT leads are recent then they would be fine...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users