Photo

Birmingham To Cornwall In A Mini - Would You Risk It?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thank you :)

#17 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I would do the trip but I do have a AA card as a back up, piece of mind is whatever happens

#18 Woody6891

Woody6891

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

If you're worried about temperatures before you go, get some of this.

http://www.minisport...nfo_MILRAD.html

I used to get worried with rising temperatures in mine, but since i have had that in, it's helped a lot. (Whether it has actually helped or just gave me peace of mind!)

I wouldn't worry about distance though. 

Have a nice trip :) 

#19 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

I would do the trip but I do have a AA card as a back up, piece of mind is whatever happens

i think break down is a definite lol

#20 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi Lyndsey, as old Bob said above "If it is driving well now, go for it".  Read your earlier post yesterday about the coil trouble you had, hopefully that's all in the past now.  I'd go for it!!!

A load of us took our minis down to Italy recently, I'm taking mine nearly 300miles up to N Wales weekend after next, & over to Netherlands, Belgium, & France next month, that will be ~1200miles in 10 days in that trip.

Take a jack, check your spare tyre is OK, take a spare fan-belt, tub of water, litre of oil, some jubilee clips (larger size for the radiator hoses), some 'zip'/cable ties, and some hand tools, get some breakdown for it and then armed with all of them you should be able to handle any situation that 'hopefully' won't arise.

Don't be scared to drive your mini especially in this nice weather.  Drive safe, & smart & you all should be fine.

Good luck & most of all enjoy :-)

Thank you :) The coil issue is resolved, just a tune up needed now for carb and engine as had new carb and filter put on it and then hopefully it should be ok.

I have taken note of those things to take - someone at work also said spark plugs? is that a bit OTT if they've recently been changed? Thank you very much!!

I don't think there's a need to take spare spark plugs, I carry a spare HT lead but hese things fade out over time rather than immediately stop working, if spark plugs, & HT leads are recent then they would be fine...

I would take a couple of plugs, you never know when they will fail even if they have been recently replaced.

#21 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

I remember doing a cornwall trip in my very first car (a mini of course) back when i was 18.  Set off from north wales with one of my best mates and the car cruised down without a hitch....apart from sweaty backs of vinyl seats...nice!!!

600 miles round trip with a standard 998 no problem at all.

Same couldn't be said for my other mates Fiesta.  On the return journey, 10 miles from home his rear spring snapped!  My mini to the rescue ferrying his passengers back home!!!

Any journey in a mini is an adventure (cliche i know!) and is great fun. Plus round the small cornish lanes you will be glad of a small car.  Make sure before you go that you check everything is working correctly and your fluids are topped up (not over filled tho). Also make sure you can change a wheel if you get a puncture (check wheel nuts ain't seized!) and the spare isn't bald or flat....and you have a jack.

Go and have a blast...you will love the trip even more in a mini.

#22 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I remember doing a cornwall trip in my very first car (a mini of course) back when i was 18.  Set off from north wales with one of my best mates and the car cruised down without a hitch....apart from sweaty backs of vinyl seats...nice!!!

Same couldn't be said for my other mates Fiesta.  On the return journey, 10 miles from home his rear spring snapped!  My mini to the rescue ferrying his passengers back home!!!

Any journey in a mini is an adventure (cliche i know!) and is great fun. Plus round the small cornish lanes you will be glad of a small car.  Make sure before you go that you check everything is working correctly and your fluids are topped up (not over filled tho). Also make sure you can change a wheel if you get a puncture (check wheel nuts ain't seized!) and the spare isn't bald or flat....and you have a jack.

Thank you very much! You've all made my min dup for me - i am going in the mini! its a 1275 engine so should be ok on naitonal roads for that long! fingers crossed!

For the price of spark plugs it may be worth me taking some anyway - food for thought.

#23 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank you very much! You've all made my min dup for me - i am going in the mini! its a 1275 engine so should be ok on naitonal roads for that long! fingers crossed!

For the price of spark plugs it may be worth me taking some anyway - food for thought.

No worries.

Put it this way.....I rally my mini, and I don't have a trailer. So i drive to events, do the rally, then drive back.......so i have faith in mini's and reliability.  Whether i'm just daft...or naive, i don't know.

Car's only break down if something is worn or breaks....if a car is well maintained, set up right and is looked after you won't have any issues.  If it does give you any issues, send up a smoke signal and i'm sure a TMF'er will be there to the rescue...ha ha.

Enjoy your trip.

#24 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Check the spare tyre, pressure and so on, make sure you have the jack ;D and those 12v pumps are handy even if its just to get you off the motorway by a quick re-inflate. The best thing is to drive within its capabilities and you'll be fine. Always have some spare fuses as well.

#25 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

No worries.

Put it this way.....I rally my mini, and I don't have a trailer. So i drive to events, do the rally, then drive back.......so i have faith in mini's and reliability.  Whether i'm just daft...or naive, i don't know.

Car's only break down if something is worn or breaks....if a car is well maintained, set up right and is looked after you won't have any issues.  If it does give you any issues, send up a smoke signal and i'm sure a TMF'er will be there to the rescue...ha ha.

Enjoy your trip.

haha i will find the cornish mini club and befriend them - just in case!! lol i would love to rally a mini! i cant quite afford it just yet though lol i didnt really plan on getting this one - it was on a whim!

#26 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Check the spare tyre, pressure and so on, make sure you have the jack ;D and those 12v pumps are handy even if its just to get you off the motorway by a quick re-inflate. The best thing is to drive within its capabilities and you'll be fine. Always have some spare fuses as well.

Fuses! i didnt think of that! i will need ot buy a jack i think - mine isn't all quite there lol

#27 998kid

998kid

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Don't let people put you off of making a long trip

They're obviously just jealous you have a mini ;)

#28 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Don't let people put you off of making a long trip

They're obviously just jealous you have a mini ;)

haha!

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Once a car has warmed up to running temperature things are more consistant , so it's less likely to go wrong. As suggested, take it on a reasonable run locally, if it copes with that there's no reason it won't do thousands of miles on the trot. 

Inspect all the hoses for any splits or wear, and that they haven't gone hard. Learn how to service your ignition system and carry a few spares for it: points & condenser (if applicable), rotor arm, distributor cap and maybe a fan belt + the tools to fit them. If you need a jack, get a scissor jack that will fit under the subframes.

Nearly forgot the most important bit,

Cornwall has many great places to visit along its coast and they're all linked by narrow, twisty roads. Taking your Mini is almost essential. 

#30 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Once a car has warmed up to running temperature things are more consistant , so it's less likely to go wrong. As suggested, take it on a reasonable run locally, if it copes with that there's no reason it won't do thousands of miles on the trot. 

Inspect all the hoses for any splits or wear, and that they haven't gone hard. Learn how to service your ignition system and carry a few spares for it: points & condenser (if applicable), rotor arm, distributor cap and maybe a fan belt + the tools to fit them. If you need a jack, get a scissor jack that will fit under the subframes.

Thank you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users