6 replies to this topic

#1 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hi, I´m getting very little grip with my volvo set up and would like to get some advice on how to increase grip.

It´s got a lot of torque when the turbo quicks in and it´s hard to put it down. Was thinking of changing to a LSD diff. Any advice on which one to look for? Any other volvo-mini owners had this issue?

Cheers,

Gonzo

#2 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Quaife is a tidy unit, not bad on price either, I would say avoid a gripper diff, I had afew issues in getting advise on gripper set up and costs and that was from the people who made / set them up. Quaife in my opinion are a better bet. And I know others who use a gripper in different cars and wished they went for quaife.

#3 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Quaife is a tidy unit, not bad on price either, I would say avoid a gripper diff, I had afew issues in getting advise on gripper set up and costs and that was from the people who made / set them up. Quaife in my opinion are a better bet. And I know others who use a gripper in different cars and wished they went for quaife.

I concur.

#4 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

The truth is Z-cars recommend the use of a gripper diff as they are using on their v-tec minis. I´m also very happy with the gripper diff that we got from Z-cars on the hayabusa Mini N10.

I´ll call gripper and quaife to check out what they point out from each type of diff. 

Has anyone tested both?

#5 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

The truth is Z-cars recommend the use of a gripper diff as they are using on their v-tec minis. I´m also very happy with the gripper diff that we got from Z-cars on the hayabusa Mini N10.

I´ll call gripper and quaife to check out what they point out from each type of diff. 

Has anyone tested both

Try reading this thread all the way through, it juts off in a few other directions at times but will give you more of an idea of the differences between the two diffs:

http://www.theminifo...ersteer-normal/

#6 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Gripper would be our choice as we find the characteristics of the plate diff are much better suited for the mid engine layout of our minis

I would need to talk to them on price and availability feel free to give me a call Gonzo  

Steve

#7 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Steve for the support. I´ll send you an email once I take a decision. I talked today to the quaife people and got quoted 595+vat for a ATB Helical LSD. If you could post the quote for a gripper diff that would be great, otherwise an email is perfect.

cptkirk I read the hole thing some months ago and are aware of other handling issues on these types of minis. It is a very difficult set up to tune as short base + weight on the back + big power and torque is not a great combination.

On the other side the N10 Mini which has a hayabusa engine in it handles like a dream being a 100% neutral and very very predictable on the dry. You can play with the steering in each corner and find the perfect sliding spot to get through the corner. Bit unstable at high speeds (+100mph) but that is predictable from a shoebox aerodynamic shell.

On the Volvo Mini I´m finding the effect you have already described as driving on its tip toes and it´s very very sensitive to the steering wheel input with a std. steering rack. The car was laser aligned last week but I would like to double check the front and the rear axels are aligned and each wheel is sitting at its correct spot. (I presume the values might be correct for the machine but the wheel might be displaced). Any advice on how to double check this at home?

I would also like to gain more drop on the suspension as I feel like the wheels might be lifting when driving up the mountains. How can I gain drop on the coilovers?

Cheers,

Gonzo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users