PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOC

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

Ok
im now at the engine stage of my rebuild and im thinking about getting one of these new 123 electronic distributors to get rid of the silly points arrangement which is a hassle.
has anyone got one and if so whats it like, what coil do I need to use with it lucas sports job or something else?
cheers for any help
Simon

#2 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

A friend of mine has one on his Mini. It works with the standard coil. He says it's better than the MG Metro electronic distributor that he had on it before.
Better starting, and better pick up.

#3 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

mmmmm cheers for the reply
saw the article about it in one of the mini mags and it looked really good, they said they were going to do a proper test on it.
im really tempted
Simon

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:38 PM

I do not wish to direct traffic away from this forum. However, please use the search feature on the Mini Spares web site to find several discussions of the 123 dizzy. Marcel Chichak who developed the advance curves is a regular on that board and therefore, it has been a frequent topic.

Also, look up a member of this board, 77LeylandMini, who is in Florida. He installed the 123 either late last year or early this year.

You cannot simply compare the 123 dizzy to an off the shelf Aldon, Piper, or Lucas product. The selling point of the 123 is its switch selectable advance curves which allow you to tailor the ignition system to your cars build and state of tune. The other dizzy's have one fixed advance curve regardless of using points or an electronic switching module. Yes, they can be recurved, but not by you, at home, without special tools.

My only regret about the 123 is that it's so expensive and that Marcel didn't offer to let me be a beta test site for it!

#5 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

thanks for the reply I will go and have a search now and see what I can find.
cheers Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users