16 replies to this topic

#1 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Having attended the Silverstone Classic last weekend, I'm desperate to start rebuilding my mk1 race car back to a period spec it once raced with. It was raced back in 1966 with a tweaked 970s engine and was quite successful. In the early 70's the car underwent some pretty wild changes. The biggest being the 970s engine receiving an Arden 8 port head, Tecalemit-Jackson injection, formula junior block, very trick valve gear and even formula 1 suspension components. It was raced up until 1974 in this spec by Ryan Lee (father of Jon Lee who owns Lynx racing). In the 90's Jon rebuilt the car to use occasionally but didn't compete it as there wasn't a class that such a heavily modified sub 1000cc car would be successful in. The last race to my knowledge it raced in was "Fastest MIni in the world" at Silverstone in 2000.
A few years back I built a 16v 1460 turbo motor for it but thankfully saw sense, sold it and bought a clio v6 with what I sold it for. The clio is currently receiving a 450+hp audi engine which I plan to use for hill climbing and sprints. Because of this I'm not fussed how fast or slow the mini turns out to be although I'd love to compete it against other, similarly specced period cars.
This has left me wondering whether or not to restore it as it was in its earlier competition days or its later, more highly developed days. Is there a class I could race an Arden equipped 970s with tubed rear arches and wide 10" rubber or is it a case of running a 970s with typical 5 port head and period rosepetal alloys etc. Either way I'd be more than happy but ultimately would love to race it either at SC14 or 15.

Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

It really would only be the mini miglia invitation class. It would hold up well!!

Only period racing there is is all appendix K, which this wouldn't be anywhere near legal;)

#3 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

What is appendix K? I have heard of this but not 100% sure what it is. I presume it a fully FIA certified car with correct cage etc and 66' or older? Like I say, it wasn't always extreme. It was once a humble little 970s screamer.
Would look pretty out of place on the modern miglia grid to be honest.

Edited by Oldskoolbaby, 30 July 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#4 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Appendix K spec is just all Parts that are of a
Certain age and older. Basic mods, and old skool tuning. They al use 1275 engines though so your 970 would be pretty pointless...

It doesn't matter if it looks out of place, if you enjoy pounding it around bearing cars with modern tech;) then go for it! Maybe look into what I think is called unlimited class were all of the space frame minis race, but again, you would be outggunned

#5 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

there's a 1000cc class in the classic touring car club which allow a fare bit modifications  pre 66 or pre 74

but use a 1275 5port there's lots you can run with then, cscc swinging sixties,miglia invitation,ctcc,

or more period mods there pre 66 masters,hscc

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

love this mini i remember when you first bought it , i'm also old enough to remember it in ccc mag

#7 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Bungle, has been a long time since I've seen your user name. Would love to get hold the CCC mag but I can't find one a copy anywhere.

Ok did some research today on Appendix K. Looks like its the sort of thing I'd like to aim for in regards to period modifications and the type of racing. Looks like the preparation of the car will cost abit more than usual but the fact i wont be aloud to run an Arden 8 port head and all the assosiated parts may offset that. I know it will be much more competitive with a 1275/1293 but I'll be happy just to campaign it. I wouldn't be in it to win as I'm sure the big hitters using Swiftunes finest would walk all over me anyway. Think I might have to join the mk1 register for more info.

#8 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

You could also run the car in HSCC Class E. This is for cars with up to 1150cc engines. Class E is less restrictive than Appendix K as regards modifications. I know of only one other Mini that runs in this class as it is mostly filled with Hillman Imps and Ford Anglias.

Here's a link to the HSCC Touring Car Regulations.

http://www.hscc.org....d_Regs_2013.pdf

There are two big meetings for this series coming up. This weekend (Aug 3 - 4) is the Croft Nostalgia at Croft Circuit near Darlington and on the bank holiday weekend is the Gold Cup at Oulton Park.

Alternatively you could probably run the car in Sprints and Hill climbs as a highly modified car. Click on the link below for the British Hillclimb Championship Regulations.

http://britishhillcl...-A5-version.pdf

#9 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Or, depending where you are, the DEWS hillclimb series.

#10 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Sort of trying to avoid hill climbing and sprints for the car. That will be left to my Clio V6. The HSCC looks great. Unfortunatly, looking at the rules i still wont be able to use the 8 port setup. Doesn't really bother me though. Me and my brother have looked over the Appendix K rules quickly and it looks like something we'd like to aim for with the car. Especially considering around 1964, it was competing around that type of class of car. Only problem is i have no idea where to start and who to speak to regarding it. Obviously I want to build the car up correctly and not back track because im fitting incorrect parts.

#11 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

The best place to start would be going to one or two of the HSCC race meetings. The meetings are very relaxed and you can wonder round the paddock and pits at all times. All the drivers are really friendly and approachable and are quite happy to discuss what they have done to their cars and will point you in the right direction.

#12 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Appendix K was the specific modifications allowed for touring cars. The 970 and 1275 were specifically created for the 1964 rules, the class sizes changed at the begining of 64 to 1000 and 1300 cc. Prior to that the class limit was 1100 cc, hence the 1071 S. Your car would have originally run in Gp2 with homologated parts. The British saloon car championship changed to Gp5 in 67(?) which allowed such things as 8 port heads which did not have to be homologated in Gp5. Wheels were free as long as they fitted inside 2" wheel arch extensionsm, hence the Gp5 wheel arch. Gp7 by the way were things like MaClaren M6/8s, Lola 70s etc, so there was no such thing as Gp7 arches for a mini.

#13 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

That makes perfect sense and would explain the cars evolution to a degree.

Am i wrong in thinking that although there are tight rules regarding period modification in Appendix K, the engines used and built by the likes of Swiftune etc are extemely well developed internally ie Miglia spec cylinder head designs, bigger valves, smaller valve stems, H/I beam rods etc etc. Not that it bothers me but I really dont know what the 1293's in this class knock out power wise to be honest

#14 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

One must seperate cars built for International classes (appendix K) and car built to clubman classes. Lots of works/ semi works cars slipped down into club racing where effectively there were no regs to meet apart from capacity class limits. Ie, anything goes apart from silouette and moving the bulkheads.

#15 Austin Powered

Austin Powered

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Such a pity no classic clubs run Gp 5 races but even in Gp 5 ('66 on) you'd not be able to run it with that suspension. You car is more along the lines of the late 60's club racers' like Geoff Wood, Harry Ratcliffe , Bob Fox etc who all ran lightweight with beams, 1000cc 8 port with fuel injection. There's nothing around on circuits that caters for that kind of car. Hate to say it's a museum piece...but it's a museum piece !! If you're darn sarf I'd join DEWS and run it in their speed championship.

Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users