2 replies to this topic

#1 lewxs

lewxs

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi, im 18 and have owned a mini since I was around 14.. but have only recently started to restore it. I started with the looks of the car first and bought 6x12 revolution alloys, sportspack 5 arches, ect ect, but then decided I wanted to build a 1380 engine to go in it, with the car nearly finished (with just a bit of welding needed to be done), I bought a 1380 block, and a cylinder head of a bloke on ebay, but could do with a few pointers on which components to buy. e.g. Cam shaft? roller or rocker, rocker assembly's? pistons? I already have a 40 weber carb & manifold, LCB 3-2-1 exhaust manifold and other bits.

any help on what parts to use for a 1380 would be a huge help 

thanks lewis  :proud:

#2 cookie564

cookie564

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

hi the very first thing is how old are you now and have you got any ncd under your belt if you are still young with no driving experience then i would throw in a 998 motor because the insurance will kill you on a modified motor but other than than that if you have no experience in measureing bore,s then get the block down your local machine shop and get it checked to make sure it is 73.5 mm as in a 1380 then as far as pistons go i find hepolite powermax pistons  a good choice for a reasonably tuned motor also i usualy use either a 255 for a mild tune or a 285 for good power on the motors i build you can use either standard rockers or 1.3 or 1.5 roller rockers (1.3 being more or less standard lift) as far as carburation is concerned i wouldn.t bother with the webber and use a good hif 44 su simple to set up and unless you run the webber on a decent manifold (in other words not a swan neck )which will need bulk head mods you will get better power out of the su any help i can give you please ask

regards paul 

Cooks auto repairs and mini car co

#3 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Its likely your block is not serviceable on a 73.5mm bore. Given its been bored to 73.5 and whatever the clearance guidance was on the last set of pistons.

Engines are not bored straight to a given size. they are matched to the piston design and its clearance required set by the manufacture.

Firstly you need to select the application and select the camshaft around that. Then build the engine around the camshaft.

Watch this

Not that I fully agree as a result of my own testing he pays more attention to the tractability rather then creating a headline power figure thus creating a faster car overall.

Edited by Sam Walters, 10 August 2013 - 11:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users