• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Deejayry

Deejayry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: NIMFOS <--We dont do clubs!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Today I have been working through a few jobs on the mini and was hoping to get the engine running, but was not going to happen, when I switched on the supply to the fuel pump it ran as normal ticking away for a few seconds then started to make a kind of humming noise and stopped delivering fuel. The fuel line is brand new goodridge 200 series throughout so was clear of blockages, never the less I removed the fittings from the ends an blew it all through with an airline. I next removed the outlet hose from the pump & briefly applied power, there was just a single spurt of fuel then nothing.

I also removed the end cap and checked the internal filter and to no surprise found that it was clear.

So I think I pretty much ruled out everything but the pump. It has been sat empty for a few years so may have not liked being dry for so long.

So before I shell out another £80 or so for a new pump I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to fix it, are these pumps servicable in any way? Or do I have to bite the bullet?

I would have liked to have a look at fixing it today but as it is fixed through the rear seat bulkhead with cap head screws & nylocks, and the fact that I didn't have an assistant to hold an allen key I was unable to remove it.

#2 Deejayry

Deejayry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: NIMFOS <--We dont do clubs!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Ok So i got a chance to have a look at the fuel pump tonight, i was pleased to find that there are some removable parts, once the cap is off the end and the internal filter is removed there is a clip that can be removed to gain access to the mechanical parts of the pump, firstly is a washer followed by an O-ring then you find a little one way valve, next a spring about 50mm long. once these are out you can remove the iron solenoid core which also contains a second valve and a much stiffer spring, which all seem to be fixed together as one.

Everything seemed to be clean and freely moving so i thought the internal electrics were probably to blame but decided to continue.

after giving all the parts a wash off in petrol, followed by a blast of compressed air i reassembled everything and refitted it to the car, much to my surprise the pump worked fine. after about 10 seconds of cranking the engine fired in to life, and after a quick idle speed adjustment was idling smoothly at 900 RPM and giving perfect lambda readings.

Engine is now running... On to routing the last few cables to ECU & lambda meter, fitting the door mirrors, door cards and harness, a few nuts and bolts, then finally Goodridge brake and clutch lines.

That should leave me plenty of time to get the MOT and give it a good shakedown before i go to to SRE for a rolling road session... Then its time to get some track days booked!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users