smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hi Guys and Girls

Im currently preparing my Mini for Special Stage events

I have a few questions: (If they could please be answered with genuine information, not rubbish pub talk thank you)

1. Do I have to use an FIA Approved Tank, as I cannot use standard? Or do I just have to make sure my filler neck is recessed correctly and it is secured, separate bulkhead etc.

2. I have been given the correct extinguishers but no plumbing kit ( They need a service, but that's no issue) no can I use OMP silver alloy tubing or do I have to use black protected piping such as lifeline or SPA?  

3. Do I have to use a battery box if my battery is in the boot or do I just have to make sure it is secure? (obviously a box is needed if it is in the cockpit!)

4. What age to my FIA Approved seats have to be? I need harnesses so do they have to be in date too? im guessing they do?

Thanks people, if there is anything else I remember I will ask :D

Edited by smudger068, 08 August 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Try the MSA BlueBook......its a boring read, but all your answers will be there.  There will also be lists of scutineers local to you to check stuff before you get to scutineering only to discover you fail on something silly.

Bluebook is available to view online aswell as when you get a copy with your comp licence.

Another thing to consider (unless you've already done it) is that you may have to pass a BARS test before being let loose on the stages.....this may not be the case if you have previously held the correct comp licence though.

#3 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yeh I been staring at that for ages, answered a lot other questions I had just stuck with these!

Reason I ask its just my old motorsport tutor is part Chelmsford motor club and im sure he said something about with new cars being logged booked the seats had to be of a certain age but I cannot remember! I cant get hold of him at the moment

Its just theres no definitive answer I can find so though id see what you guys used?

Thanks

#4 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

You are right, there is something about newly logbooked cars and seat dates.

Have you tried the British Rally Forum?

#5 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Seats & harnesses both have to be in date - what that date is depends on the items you buy, their end of life dates are shown on labels on them, so if you're buying on-line ask the seller what the dates are.

I don't see why you'd need an FIA tank, I've not read anything in the Blue Book suggesting you would. Don't know about the extinquisher tubing, ours came with plastic & was part of a JJC MSA approved kit.

As Dave says though, contacting your local scrutineer that will be log-booking your car is a very good idea.

#6 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

To ask, the seats have a manufacturing date I have never seen expiry date? So they expire after 5 years?

Thanks for all your help guys

#7 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Just had a look through the Blue Book about the battery question, but it looks like it is as you surmised that a box is just needed if its in the cabin, but then it also says this;

"Have batteries duly protected to exclude leakage of acid and to protect terminals from short circuiting and producing sparks." - we recently did a hillclimb & the battery was just as standard under the bonnet, so I don't know what they mean by "duly protected to exclude leakage of acid". The scrute asked us to cover the terminals with some duct tape, but that's all he mentioned....

Couldn't see any mention about an FIA fuel tank, just the fire proof bulkhead requirement.

#8 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

To ask, the seats have a manufacturing date I have never seen expiry date? So they expire after 5 years?
Thanks for all your help guys

Sorry, that's what I meant - I worded that badly! Yes they expire after 5 years. There was talk that the MSA was going to try & remove the lifing requirement on seats, but that was back in 2010 & I haven't seen anything since.

#9 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Can't the 5 years be extended another 2 years if the seat goes back to the manufacturer for inspection???......

utter nonesense that seats go out of date.  You might only do an event a year and then after five years (five events) your seat is scrap!  I understand if you do full championships that a seat will have a lifespan, but not for limited use.  But i suppose there is no way to police this other than an expire date.

All rather rubbish and expensive in my opinion.

#10 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Excellent thanks guys,

Yeh we were always getting told to ducktape the terminals haha

And yes definitely expensive and they wonder why club people struggle to do motorsport with helmets, overalls, car prep, entry fees, tyres, running costs!

Thanks again people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users