diogoteix

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Portugal

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hello,

I'm pondering getting a "BELT DRIVE KIT UPRATED ROTOSLIDE ADJUSTMENT" from Minispares, to benefit from an "oil leak free" timing cover as well as better "engine sound".

Any good/bad opinion/experiences on this kind of upgrade? I'm also wondering if the fact that there is no belt tensioner could be a problem (unlike Jonspeed kit, but almost twice as expensive: here )

http://minispares.co...JJ3326RACE.aspx

Another option is the alloy timing cover kit from DSN Classic, you keep your chain but get a "oil leak proof" timing cover:

http://www.dsnclassi...t-billet-alloy/

#2 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

There is absolutely no reason why the standard cover should not be oil tight.  Don't waste your money...

#3 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Had the minispares kit since 92/93, had no problems with it. Besides there is always a very small amount of oil in the bottom of the casing, even when it was all brand new.......

Other thing is I'm not overly impressed with the belts that are available now, shiny and with to higher plastic content in the rubber. Once my supply of original Fenners belts dries up, I'm putting my duplex back on........

#4 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

The only real advantage on a cam belt is that it damps vibrations which translates in better cam performance on high performance engines.

They're not the best reliability wise, most new engines today use a timing chain instead.

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I assume the pushrods / valves bend , when the belt / chain breaks ?

or does it miss ?

I remember doing the cvh heads , when the belt with the radius teeth went - back in the 80's

#6 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Head, Valves, pushrods, rockers, crankshaft and cam can all collide if the belt snaps, it causes a lot of damage........

If you have a look over on Turbominis, there are some pic's of the destruction a snapped timing belt can cause on a A-Series.........

#7 mossy2a

mossy2a

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

i think there has been a stint of poor rubber grades on the belts.  which  also refers to DILLIGAF's previous post. 

#8 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yes the belts that seem to be available now are nowhere near the quality of the older ones. I have a stockpile of older belts to keep me going for a while yet.

Phil.

#9 diogoteix

diogoteix

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

There is absolutely no reason why the standard cover should not be oil tight.  Don't waste your money...

The cut of a standard cover is rarely very clean, making a very poor seal to the backplate, and is certainly one of the many possible leaking sources of a Mini. But you're right, the nightmare of a snapped belt is indeed a huge topic on turbominis.co.uk !

I think I'll stick to my duplex chain, using the occasion of this engine lift up to change the chain for an Iwis one. 

#10 diogoteix

diogoteix

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Had the minispares kit since 92/93, had no problems with it. Besides there is always a very small amount of oil in the bottom of the casing, even when it was all brand new.......

Other thing is I'm not overly impressed with the belts that are available now, shiny and with to higher plastic content in the rubber. Once my supply of original Fenners belts dries up, I'm putting my duplex back on........

I've seen a post  on turbominis speaking of another quality belt provider: Dayco belts. You could try to have a look for a reference that would be compatible...

#11 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

I've seen a post  on turbominis speaking of another quality belt provider: Dayco belts. You could try to have a look for a reference that would be compatible...

Could do but I'm also gonna to fit my MED trigger wheel, which won't fit with the belt drive.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users