#1 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

After having several problems i have replaced my clutch slave and master cylinders.

However now it doesnt seem that the clutch is disengaging when the clutch pedal is down fully - with the clutch pedal in i still creep forwards.

Also to get it into reverse without a loud grinding noise i have to pump the pedal a few times, pumping the pedal also makes gear transitions alot smoother.

Would appreciate your advice

si

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

I'd say either the system still needs bleeding (which sounds most likely due to you having to pump it to get it to work)....sometimes clutches can be a right bugger to get bled fully

#3 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

thanks will give it another go bleeding it tomo

will this fix the disengaging problem though??

si

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

more than likely.....

#5 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Indeed, this can be a bleeding issue. May I suggest one of those bleed kits that uses air from a tyre to force fluid through the system, rather than the classic one-man jobbies.

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

i can also say that the eazi bleed kit where you attach a tyre is very good. i had never bled brakes before and it was a piece of wee wee to do. same principles for doing a clutch.

15 quid from halfords.

#7 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:39 PM

Very good miniboo, I couldn't recall the name as I in fact stole mine from a friend.

#8 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

OK have bled my clutch and have success with getting into 1st without pumping. I still cannot get into reverse, regardless of pumping, without it making a crunching noise. It does go in slightly easier now (noise is more of a crunch than a long horrible grind) but still isnt right.

any suggestions with what the problem could be

cheers

si

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

You've probably got a Verto clutch so I don't know how much of this applies. Check for wear on all the pivot/clevis pins through the system. Start with the ones on the pedal and them move on to the throw-out arm. Replace as necessary. Then go through all the adjustments for the throw-out arm/lever as described in your manual. On pre-verto clutches this involved a stop bolt on the arm itself and the large hex nut on the end of the clutch cover. Others with more recent cars will have to elaborate on your adjustments.

With the system bled and adjusted correctly, the only other explanation I can see for your problem is a worn out friction disk. I had this with an old Honda of mine. It didn't slip and it didn't have any problem once the car was moving. However, getting into reverse without grinding involved selecting that gear before starting the car. Replacing the clutch cured the problem.

#10 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

im pre verto. Will go ahead and check all that you said. Just out of interest to replace the friction disk or whatever that entails how much am i looking at?

thanks for info

si

#11 Andy NBO 866M

Andy NBO 866M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

I had exactly the same problem i replaced the master and slave cylinders still the same problem then replaced the rubber hose and copper pipes and this sorted it :thumbsup: .

does it make a slurping kind of sound?????

#12 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:34 PM

slurping? Sounds like im trying to change gear without using the clutch, that horrible sound normally coming from old people reversing out of tesco's. Hmm perhaps the pipes have collapse and are not giving enough pressure which would explain why its not going into gear correctly. will try replacing them

cheers

si

(anyone think of anything else)

#13 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

It's curious why changing the lines would correct the problem. Usually when that sort of thing happens the fluid can't return to the reservoir and leaves the cylinder extended... like you permanently had your foot on the pedal. Perhaps it helped because the collapsed hose prevented complete bleeding of the system? Anyway, go through the basic mechanical adjustments and checks. Changing the hose is a lot less effort and expense than replacing a friction disk so it wouldn't hurt to replace this before contemplating major work.

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

you put a new spring on?

#15 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

havent replaced the spring, just used the one off my old slave. unless ur talkin bout a different spring cant see how it would affect reverse gear only, isnt it just to put lever arm back in place.

ageed dkl changin hoses is worth a try, if it is the answer then it wil have saved me alot of money and if not then new hoses are always good!

Was thinking that if the hoses are poor then would they reduce the flow of fluid and reduce the movement of the arm and is why the clutch is not fully disengagin enough to get into reverse??

just a thought

si

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users