Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Gauge Not Reading Correctly.

Best Answer alex-95 , 03 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

It's probably the sender unit, There is a way of testing if it's that or the guage that is faulty (or wiring) But can't remember what it is. >_<

If you get a long screwdriver and look into the tank you can lift it up as far as it goes to see if it goes up on the gauge. If it does then I would say that it's the sender. if you have a look at my Gradual Ritz resto page 8 below you can see what happens to the sender units.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ginge620

Ginge620

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have recently purchased a 1989 Austin Mini 998. I put about 10 litres of fuel in and the gauge still sits at the bottom. It does move up a little bit but not much, and it quite slow. 

What is the recommended diagnosis, ive checked the two connections sender unit and cleaned them up so far.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:14 PM   Best Answer

It's probably the sender unit, There is a way of testing if it's that or the guage that is faulty (or wiring) But can't remember what it is. >_<

If you get a long screwdriver and look into the tank you can lift it up as far as it goes to see if it goes up on the gauge. If it does then I would say that it's the sender. if you have a look at my Gradual Ritz resto page 8 below you can see what happens to the sender units.

Edited by alex-95, 03 September 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

on the sender unit touch the 2 wires together and the gauge should go to full if so sender unit is either faulty or float punctured. either way do the test and remove if it goes to full and check

#4 Punntz

Punntz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

I have a similar problem but maybe a different solution?
My Mayfair 1275 came back from annual service and now the fuel guage is sluggish and the battery light stays on permanently. Battery charges ok though? My mechanic who would normally fix it is awol at present so any tips gratefully received? Possibly a wiring problem?

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

The sluggish fuel gauge and ignition warning light issues are probably not related.

When you say the charge warning light stays on permanently, do you mean even when the engine is off and key out of the ignition?

#6 Ginge620

Ginge620

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

Just realised i didnt say what i did cure my problem. Like alex said, turned out to be the sender unit. I checked the gauge before and it shot right up when bridged the connections, working fine.

#7 Punntz

Punntz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

Dklawson. No the light only comes on when I turn the ignition and give it a few revs. Seems to go out too when I'm not feeding the throttle too much? It's like the wires to the guage and battery light are maybe round the wrong way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users