6 replies to this topic

#1 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hi, currently have a 79 998 standard apart from stage 1 kit. It runs nice but in getting to the stage where I want more! The ultimate goal is a 1340 twin cam but due to finance, space and insurance this isn't going to happen for a couple of years or so. I want to tune her up a bit as she is, so no 1275 jokes/ suggestions please! I don't really know what to prioritise so I'll say what I want and hopefuly someone can suggest a spec.

She's Mainly a toy now but us still occasionally used to comute (as a treat) and is reguarally used as a daily at weekends and will often cover long distance to Wales ECT. She's very much a road car and is not stripped or had any shell mods.

I want her to have more mid to high end pull as currently she's not to bad off the line put hasn't really got much above 30. I know the standard 3.44 diff doesn't help this but I quite like the nippyness. I don't mind a bit of lumpyness from a cam but she must be ok round town as I don't want to be pulling out and having her stall or die as a trucks coming up behind! In terms of a head I don't want to use a 1275 as this will Involve pocketing the block. The current head is still leaded so if i get it converted would it be worth doing some porting ECT instead of buying a differant one. I won't say a budget as i know this is a how long is a piece of string type question but basically its as low or high as needed depending on the gains. I would rather spend more for quality and get reliability even if it means a slight reduction in possible power/tourque.

Cheers

Edited by robminibcy, 08 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#2 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have been asking the same question and every single person said that a new head is a must, the stock head is told to be the bottle neck and not worth the money to increase the performance of the stock head, I would go 12g295 of you have the cash otherwise you could go for the cheaper 12g202 head, Kent 266 cam and twin hs2s or I think you can run a hif38.

Edited by TehMarchant, 08 September 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#3 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

what are the options of further modification/ unleaded conversion on these heads? Eg can a 202 be modified to 295 spec. What's the going prices for these heads. There's currently a 202 on eBay for £35

#4 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

Honestly just go for the 1275....

For the same price you'll spend on a 998 getting it to 64bhp you can get a 1275 to 90bhp....

I went the 998 route an wish I did it the other way.....

#5 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

1275s are expensive now. I haven't seen any for much less than 400 recently and even then that's assuming it won't need a rebuild. My engine s not to bad for wear ECT despite its age and milage so really a few mods and it will be good few more years till I can afford the full 1275 rocket!

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

The route I'd go with is a replica of the 998cc Cooper and 55BHP which on the 3.44:1 will be a nippy little mini and without bursting the bank, but its all going to have to come out I'm afraid, 295 heads are getting like hens teeth but a few come up for sale, 266 cam, twin HS2s and a Cooper Type Manifold into a single box system with a H&H Modified Distributor.

Theres something about the nature of a tuned 998 and the sweet revving that a 1275+ engine never has, if you do the work yourself and check the rest of the engine, crank,shells, pistons and bores then it will be of a similar performance to a standard 1275 anyway.

#7 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Theres something about the nature of a tuned 998 and the sweet revving that a 1275+ engine never has, if you do the work yourself and check the rest of the engine, crank,shells, pistons and bores then it will be of a similar performance to a standard 1275 anyway.

I couldn't agree more...    I've seen lots of posts on here before about 998's bieng much more fun and assumed it was rubbish. 

A couple of months back I built a mild large bore motor to replace my 998, and to be honest, it's nowhere near as much fun! don't get me wrong, it's flipping quick comparitavely, but it's just not the same. 

I can't wait to rebuild the original engine. 

If it's of any use to the OP, I'm planning on rebuilding it with a worked bottom end, a 286 cam, standard 12g940 head, with a hif38 on a slightly worked manifold. I reckon I'll easily see 65 bananas without going crazy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users