#1 Weejum

Weejum

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hello people,

I removed the driver side quarter panel and started to poke around with the screwdriver.  As I expected I found a bit of rot.  I've got the heritage quarter panel that goes up to the bottom of the rear driver side passenger window already. I need new sills as well as the stiffener which is completely rotten as you can see. Any advice on the best order in which to attack this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Attached File  IMG_00000044.jpg   54.89K   42 downloads

Attached File  IMG_00000043.jpg   48.8K   24 downloads

Attached File  IMG_00000042.jpg   69.88K   34 downloads

Attached File  IMG_00000041.jpg   62.55K   22 downloads

Attached File  IMG_00000040.jpg   65.31K   33 downloads

Attached File  IMG_00000036.jpg   53.43K   23 downloads

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

The outer arch is your first replacement so you can replace the outer section.

So jack the car up nice and level, 

Remove the outer sill.

Replace the damaged arch section.

Next support the subframe and remove the trunnion bolts in that side.

I will put money on the subframe bracket will be rusty so you will need to replace that and possibly a section of the inner sill there as well. At this point remove the remains of the arch close out panel. 

With the bracket off you can see if the outer section of the heelboard is corroded.

If it is you will need to remove the subframe to replace that section.

You will need to slave the subbie in place when you offer up the heelboard section to get it in the right position.

Carry out that repair if required and the same to the inner sill.You will need to remove the old sill stiffener at this point before replacing the sill if required.  Fit the new subframe mounting bracket. I would add a bit more weld to each of the captive nuts.

Now you can with all of the repairs done to the sill and heelboard you can now fit the new closeout panel. With this in place you can now fit the new sill stiffener.

I would now pin the new outer sill in place and then move onto the cant / waist rail. Replace that as it is starting to corrode and is not worth faffing around with.

With that done you can now pin the new quarter panel in place and carry out any fettling before plug / spot welding in place. Now you can move onto the outer sill.

Have a look at the Red one link below and you will see i have done exactly that repair bar the waist rail.

#3 Weejum

Weejum

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I got the wheel arch repair panel today so I'll get stuck in tomorrow.

Colin

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is the other side similar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic