Photo

Emissions Canister

Best Answer eero , 18 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

It stores fuel vapor coming from the crankcase, through the breather, until the engine is hot enough, then the purge valve opens, and the fumes are redirected back into the inlet.

So i'd say it would be wise to remove it before welding.

EDIT: as for maintanence, Rover manual says nothing about it, Haynes manual says to replace it when visibly damaged. So I guess it's a rather care free component for once. :D

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bell-nose

Bell-nose

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

What does anyone know about the emissions canister under the front nearside wing on the MPI? 

Is it safe to weld near it?

Apparently it has charcoal in it, is there a maintenance procedure for it?

Thanks,

#2 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Evaporative emission canister
The evaporative emission (EVAP) canister is situated beneath the LH inner wing valance, and contains charcoal which absorbs and stores fuel from the fuel tank when the engine is not running. When the engine is running the vapour is purged from the canister into the engine and burned.
The EVAP canister is purged when the EVAP canister purge valve is opened. Manifold depression draws fresh air into the canister through the charcoal, which releases fuel vapour into the inlet manifold.

#3 eero

eero

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local Club: Eesti Miniklubi

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:20 PM   Best Answer

It stores fuel vapor coming from the crankcase, through the breather, until the engine is hot enough, then the purge valve opens, and the fumes are redirected back into the inlet.

So i'd say it would be wise to remove it before welding.

EDIT: as for maintanence, Rover manual says nothing about it, Haynes manual says to replace it when visibly damaged. So I guess it's a rather care free component for once. :D

Edited by eero, 18 September 2013 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users