2 replies to this topic

#1 mattiek

mattiek

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Some of you might know that I recently got back in to the mini world in a big way, buying a '77 Clubman and a '62 Morris 850 within 5 days of each other. The Clubman is road-going and need just a bit of TLC...but the '62 is.....well.....something to keep me busy over the next few months/years!

Trust me know when I say this is a long term project....I'm in no rush, and do not have hours every day to do stuff as I already lead an incredibly busy lifestyle but I have set a preliminary deadline - I would like to have the project completed by my 40th birthday with gives me about 2 years and 7 weeks (ish). I also do not have a hefty bank balance so I will have to wait at times for weeks/months just to buy the next parts/panels etc....and probably fabricate some items as I go - but I do have passion, and experience that should help me along the way and (to my fault I guess) a little high expectation in quality of workmanship. I have a background in racing, owning my own business as an MOT/Service/repair garage in the UK and building minis in the past, but these days I'm more of a desk jockey. This project will be done at home in my garage.....I'll cross any bridges & stumbling blocks as I go and will undoubtedly be asking for advice from you guys and girls from time to time. I'll try and keep pictures and updates as I go. If anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong, have a better idea or solution.....or just some simple advice/comments/criticism then please shout out - I don't get offended easily and can give as good as I get lol!

So, without further adieu......I present: 

IMG_2081_zpscb8e0fef.jpg

IMG_2082_zpsa14a06e4.jpg

IMG_2083_zps4d8730ab.jpg

IMG_2085_zps9505d8d8.jpg

IMG_2102_zps40670b23.jpg

Thanks, and hope you enjoy.....

#2 mattiek

mattiek

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

So a little bit about the car.

From what I can gather using info from here, its possibly a 2/62 Morris 850. The Wiper motor has a date stamp on it. The car should be Saxon Green, but I think it's been repainted at some point because I lifted the rear seat base up and the interior colour is a lot lighter....almost a milky green rather than the (dirty) vibrant green bodywork. The previous owner has had it parked, dry-stored in his garage for just under 30 years, head off and engine seized. Was fun trying to get it out but determination is one of my strengths lol!

Got it home and started taking a bit of a look round. So far, very little body rust and no obvious signs of repairs - shame it doesn't have the matching engine fitted BUT the previous owner thinks it may be in his shed elsewhere.....fingers crossed! It does have some damage....the usual "jacked up in the wrong place" damage to front subframe and front panel will definitely need to be replaced. Same with the rear valance. Boot floor is solid but has also been jacked up on at some point! Same story with the floor pans and outer sills - really......how hard is it to lift a car up using the JACKING POINTS?

Anyway, first plan is to strip it completely, check for repairs/filler (will probably sand blast the whole car) then decide in which direction I want to head regarding restore/rebuild & modify/replica etc.

Last time it was used was 1984:

IMG_2100_zps23ebd772.jpg

Cool.....almost 29yrs!

I still need to have a few mods done to my garage before I can crack on too much (need a 15a socket put in to use my mig welder so I can build a rotisserie and have a full look underneath.

#3 lappers

lappers

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local Club: WASCC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Wow that's an old sticker!! Can't wait to see how you go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users