9 replies to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

For nurbergring i want to build a new engine, now this sounds straight forward! But im worried about how to run it in right..

If i get it wrong it will just smoke, and ive heard so many views on how to do it. Some say take it steady and some say thrash it for 20miles then change the oil and take it steady but dont babysit it.

What do you turbo guys do? Since this will be a turbo motor but it shouldnt be different to running in an NA, just keep it off boost?

Dave

#2 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

I spoke to Simon of Morspeed and asked him exactly the same question. Im running twin 40 webers and he told me the best thing to do is to run it slightly lean, and he meant SLIGHTLY lean, and take it steady for about 500 miles at around 3000rpm. Motorways being the best place for it. The idea being that if you have a slightly rich mix, the extra fuel will wash the oil off the side of the cylinder walls and not allow the rings to bed in properly. Id only listen to people like Simon as its pretty clear he knows exactly what hes talking about.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

As OSB, when I asked Bill Richards after I had my engine rebuilt, he said just take it easy for a few hundred miles, don't rev it too much and change the oil 2 or 3 times.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

take it steady for about 500 miles at around 3000rpm. Motorways being the best place for it.

should be easy as there are many miles of motorway in cornwall :ph34r:

#5 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

500 miles.. how fars that in acres?

#6 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

320000 :ph34r:

#7 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:28 PM

I was also talking to Bill Richards about the whole running in thingy, but for a slightly different reason.

I am gonna be building an engine that will probably have nothing below 2500 rpm (due to camshaft/rocker gear combination). So I was concerned that during my 'running in' period I would have a useable rev band of 500 revs!

He basically said that I was best to run in using my standard rockers and do as above, run in on cheap oil and change a couple of times, during the first 500 miles. Then after 500 miles, fit me higher lift rockers and put some good oil in and then tune the car properly (as in rolling road it).

#8 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

there's nothing so bad about high rpm on a new engine (like 4000-4500) - whats more damaging is high load on new bearings etc...

Eg if climing a hill, its better to be at 4000rpm in second, than 2500 in third and bogging down...

I ran my 1293 in for 1000 miles, 3 oil changes (50, 500 and 1000 miles), being gentle but not nursing it, using 4500 rpm at times, and its still running sweet now, 7000 miles later (which for its spec of engine is pretty damn good!)

Tom

#9 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

And make sure you use cheap mineral oil for running in to allow the rings to bed into the bores !!!

#10 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

Tesco value oil :ph34r:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users