#1 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi all,

I am taking my mini for its 2nd ever track day. I am thinking of booking it in for a suspension tune up by a company that sets up race cars. Can anyone steer me in the right direction about setting camber,caster etc for the track? I don't drive it much on the road anymore but am loving zooming around the track.

It is a 1966 Morris mini deluxe
12" wheels
Hi Los
Adj tie rods and arms

Thanks in advance.

#2 monster_mini

monster_mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

What tyres are you currently running buddy and what suspension cones:)?

Also you should get some adjustable rear camber/toe brackets, or modify your own to suit as that is another critical stage to getting the mini set up right:)!

#3 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

6-8 deg castor 1-2deg neg camber 1/2deg toe out tracking on front.

Rear 0 tracking and 0-1 neg rear

I run 12x6 048 yokos and 10x7 with slicks/wets.

What shocks u got

#4 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

They are yokohama avant a048's. Not sure of what the shockies are ( I'm guessing red ones is not the answer you're looking for he he he). Same with the cones, they were replaced approximately 500kms ago with new ones.

I can't run 10" as they won't clear the disc brakes.

Thanks for the speedy replies. Maybe new shocks are on the shopping list. Recommendations?

#5 Almond-1

Almond-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Local Club: Cooper Register

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Be careful of the rear tyres rubbing on the rear shocks. I run 048's on 12 x 5 & had to space them from rubbing on the Spaxs, even with Super fins!.

#6 monster_mini

monster_mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

The above settings sound like a good starting point,

I understand they were replaced with new cones, but were they standard or higher spring rate:) ?
(Ie look at minispares red and yellow dot cones if you're unsure what I'm talking about)

Shock absorbers, really depends on your budget,

Any aftermarket spax,gaz,avo, will be an upgrade over standard and allow some adjustment, but if you want to throw more money in then there are many options available!

#7 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Good point I was running yellow on front and red rear with a kad anti roll bar what would be a good simple upgrade for you as we'll

#8 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

As people have said, your "springs" will play a bit part. Without ARBs, even with red all round you will get quite a lot of body roll running on A048s, which will push towards the higher camber values suggested on here. Yellow all round with no ARBs works well with A048s, that's what I run as I can't fit ARBs anyway for the class i'm in, but that is starting to get a bit too harsh for the roads.

If you're running on track with sticky tyres you want to keep an eye on things like bearings (including the radius arm ones) and subframe mounts, they take a lot of stick. Watch out for the front subframe mounts into the footwell as well, they can tear the panel so plating the inside is a good move.

Solid tower mounts made a big difference on mine as well if you havn't already got them, solid all round is worth a thought.

Edited by adamg1380, 07 October 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#9 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Adam,

That's some really useful information. I think I need a plan of attack instead of just doing one thing, so will sort out the ARB's and investigate the subframe mounting points before the wheel alignment.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users