#1 Struckers

Struckers

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hi All,

Newbie! Thanks for all the great posts, very informative. Just a quick question to start. Just bought a Austin Mini HLE Auto 1982. Only done 27,000 in the last 24 years! Basically rarely used, especially recently. Just wondered what you would recommend to ensure I don't kill it i.e. oil change etc.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

well if it hasn't done many miles its probly not going to need much. but a change of spark plugs and lead are always good. flash the rad out might be a bit of C**p hanging about in there and change the oil and filter. basical do all the things you would do to a car thats done 27 thouhsand miles. air filter too might be a good idea.

bit of grease on the ball joints and swing arms too.

edit

Also welcome to the forums.

#3 Struckers

Struckers

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

:lol: Thanks for the advice......I thought as much. Lots of small jobs to start off and I can't wait. Pick the car up tomorrow; second mini after a 10 year gap. Yey.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

yeah. if you go a haynes then do all the stuff thats in the 1st chaper about stuff to do after X number of miles.

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

You'll probably find it will need a new battery, and the fuel in the tank will be good for nothing, so drain that and put some new fresh stuff in.

Longer term things, most of the rubber bushes will probably have perished, so I'd be looking at changing all of them. Window seals will have gone hard, so good idea to change them as well, along with door, bootlid, and bonnet seals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users