86 replies to this topic

#46 lawrie124

lawrie124

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

In the good old days you used to be able to fill up your mini with 4 star without somebody coming up to you and saying "I used to have a mini"

#47 meathead

meathead

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

taping the songs you wanted on the top 40 countdown on sunday evening while trying to omit the dj.. lusting after my mates .......Raleigh Grifter!

#48 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

I tried to explain to the 12 year olds I teach about how using the phone 30 years ago meant dialling with an actual round dial...and you always hated those friends who had lots of 9s and 0s because your finger would inevitably catch and you'd need to start over.  And talking "in private" meant a wall mounted phone with a really long curly handset cord stretched to the nearest closet!

Those that looked up from their iPhones were suitably baffled.

#49 087dave

087dave

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Second that about phones also when we had
No play stations and Xbox
And we had to come up with our own games, football , rounders tennis.
We were all a bit tin back unlike some kids today...lol

#50 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

When if you wanted to get into RC model flying you had to build you plane from a set of plans or a kit, fit a 40 sized glow fuel engine and then spend a few hours running it in.

These days you can buy ARTF (almost ready to fly) electric trainers which if you know what you are doing can probably get flying with in a couple of hours after taking it out of the box. They are great as they get people into the air quickly but a lot of the people learning these days have no clue on how to put things right when they go wrong as the plane was built for them.

I flew 3 different ARTF trainer planes on the weekend and had to sort out issues with all of them as the owners didn't know how to.

#51 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

this topic is a really good read lol.

... when you would all meet up on the park after school for a football match that went on till it was too dark to see the ball.

... when we used to play man hunt on the estate, then if you were not found you would end up going in, leaving your mates to still find you :lol:

... opening the panini football sticker packs hoping for the Liverpool badge!

.... the yellow halifax house money box!... red roof!! lol

.... when your mum sent you to the shops and tells you that you can keep the change for going. then walking back with two packs of cheesy space raiders and panda pop coke.

.... when He-man was the best cartoon EVER after school.

.... when you would tell your mates you would "knock round for them tomorrow"

... when you could fight with fists and have respect afterwards without worrying about being stabbed in an alleyway!

#52 henri1972

henri1972

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

taping the songs you wanted on the top 40 countdown on sunday evening while trying to omit the dj.. lusting after my mates .......Raleigh Grifter!

i still have a mint grifter from when i was a kid

#53 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

As few have already said. Going to call for mates and then they weren't allowed out.

Sleep overs loooool

Playing football for the whole day. Then going home to warm up your dinner which was like rubber by the time you got in :P

Sending notes in school then getting caught and having to read the notes out to the class >_<

Getting loads of little sweets on way to mates

Getting all excited on pocket money day then going to shop to blow it all on pokemon cards

Showing off all my tricks on skateboard. Now I go arse over tit

Edited by megamini_jb, 06 June 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#54 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I was explaining last night to my son (who is 11) about how we used to take off on our bikes all over the city...bike across town and swim across the little lake for something to do.  Parents had no idea where we were or what we were up to, and no phones unless you stopped at a pay phone and happened to have 25 cents.  And it was a huge deal if your bike had "more speeds" (number of gear sprockets front/back)...my super-deluxe 12 speed road racer with the foam handlebar grips AND A WATER BOTTLE HOLDER was quite flash!  At my grandparent's summer cottage we'd take off and disappear - walk the railway tracks and cross big bridges or spend the afternoon trying to sink a canoe in the waves on the lake and so forth.  Again, nobody knew where we were.

Now, it's so much hypersensitivity about where everyone's at, who is supervising, 16 ways to stay in contact, etc.  Plus, it seems few kids actually ride a bike any distance around here anymore!

When I got my 1st car at 18 (in 1989), I can remember filling up during a price war between gas stations for 48 cents a litre.  Of course, I was making $3.15/hr (GBP1.70) at my crappy burger-flipping job.

Edited by zinzan, 06 June 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#55 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

When jackets were goalposts...................

#56 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

A weeks holiday at Butlins was £15.00 but a Casio digital watch was £75.00.

#57 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

I remember when the Goonies were all older than me.

#58 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

1969 I worked in a petrol station/garage and 4 star petrol was 4/11p (24 1/2p) a gallon, a 12 journey bus ticket to travel to Durham City (5 miles away) was 19/11p (£1.00). my weekly wage as a apprentice was £5.00.

#59 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

I remember when...... I forgot!

#60 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Kindly stop talking wistfully about pokemon, you're making me feel old! I remember when this was all fields....ngeaarrr! :bah:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users