#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

evening all.

ok now then breather for engines. i know they not really the greatest things in the world unless your highly tuning the engine. i also know that you shouldn't add one to the carb as it may cause things to break or go boom.

you see (sorry about this being a bit all over the place but stay with me) i was having a play with my engine and i find that with the oil cap off it idels nicer. SO what i wanted to know is, Is it a bad idea to add and engine breather to the top of the rocker cover. i mean add a hole to the cover then add a little breather to allow some more air in. i know that the oil filler cap is an air filter but in my little world more is normaly better. so is it a stroke of genius or is it a very very bad idea.

also how the cheese do you get a car to run nice without the breather pipe on the carb. on my carb the engine stalls out if you stop the flow (took the pipe off and coved the hole with my finger) so how do people with that bit blocked up make it run smooth.

and alloy rocker covers do they have breather if not then you get basical the same thing as my above statment. how do you get the car to run smooth without it stalling.

bit of a random selection of question but i don't know these things so i have to ask.

Cheers

#2 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

Your engine needs a breather to prevent crankcase pressurisation which will blow oil out of every available seal !

You dont NEED to connect it to the carb but if you dont then you need to blank the input to the carb.

Yes a highly tuned engine will benefit from extra breathers....such as the rocker cover but a standard engine does not need them.

Make sure your current breather is not blocked and then you need to get the engine tuned......it should not need the filler cap removed to idle smoothly.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:09 PM

mine dose.....then again my cars done 53,000 mile when i got it, it still had the factorie fitted air filter....from 1982. i got the car in 2005.

so then why dose my car basicaly stall with the air inlet blocked. if the carb dosn't need it then why won't the car keep running. or is it beacuse the mix go super rich as i changed the mixture. so its running slightly rich with the extra inlet blocked it must go super rich then.

so my idea for an engine breather inlet on the rocker covers not a good idea then. ooow.

edit

oh yeah....errrmm.....no money so no pro tuning or RR for me. lol. being a student rocks!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

Just spend the money you'll be spending on breathers and what not on getting your car Rolling roaded after you've sorted out getting the proper stage 1 kit for your car.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

JB.....err....were did stage 1 kit come from. i have no money so no stage 1 kit for now.

and how dose a 5.50 breather come anywere close to the £30 odd for a rolling road.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

I thought the outcome of your last post was that you were going to get the correct exhaust and manifolds for your engine, selling the ones you have to fund it?

To me, you shouldn't be putting in breathers to get an engine to idle correctly, that should be done with carb tuning and have the timing set correctly. The standard breather system should be fine for most engines needs.

#7 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

I thought the outcome of your last post was that you were going to get the correct exhaust and manifolds for your engine, selling the ones you have to fund it?

Erm....wasn't that someone else? :lol:

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

well it was just an idea as i always think more is better. so more air into the engine the better it is. althoguht not always the best ideas for somethings just the way i am. :lol: , getting a new oil cap breather as mine needs replaceing i orded it....yesterday now from mini spares as well as some bushes i needed.

also even if i did sell my old stock Exhaust looking on flebay i woun't get much more than say £20 squid well short of the 100+ neede for a stage 1. all this thread was is a few quetions and ideas i had. which now look like they were not as good as i thought. oh well. saved myself 5.50 odd.

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

Ahhh, was it?! Oopsies! Sorry about that! :lol:

Still my statement about getting the carb running right instead of adding a breather still stands.

well it was just an idea as i always think more is better. so more air into the engine the better it is. althoguht not always the best ideas for somethings just the way i am. :P , getting a new oil cap breather as mine needs replaceing i orded it....yesterday now from mini spares as well as some bushes i needed.

also even if i did sell my old stock Exhaust looking on flebay i woun't get much more than say £20 squid well short of the 100+ neede for a stage 1. all this thread was is a few quetions and ideas i had. which now look like they were not as good as i thought. oh well. saved myself 5.50 odd.

Yea, I think you've taken the best choice. I think I was getting you mixed up with someone else with the Stage 1 kit.

#10 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

I think you areright with the running, it will stall due to the mixture if you just block up the inlet to the carb, you will need to lean the mixture off a bit... I had to do exactly the same.

#11 rovercooper98

rovercooper98

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

Ive had problems with my rocker gasket blowing this was one of the solutions.
Posted Image

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

Adam, your car runs better with more air getting in to the carb because it is currently running rich. Remember you told us that you know it is running rich? Fix that before you try to alter anything. There would be no point adding one to the rocker cap anyhow as it's already a breather filter as standard.

Edited by Dan, 19 May 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#13 andywaller

andywaller

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Local Club: turbominis.co.uk

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

try buying a new rocker cap, they should be vented as standard but clog up with C**p after a while.

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

who me mowog??

<<snip>>
getting a new oil cap breather as mine needs replaceing i orded it....yesterday now from mini spares as well as some bushes i needed.
<<snip>>

never been replaced since it came out of the factory. anywho Dan yeah i will have to do that. just got to tweek it back a bit. i listed to the engine and see how it sounds while i;m doing it.

cheers all. my questions and querys once again answered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users