beaker the muppet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Local Club: KLMC, Wigton

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

hi

ive got a pair of Girling calipers that came with the hillclimb mini, but we swapped them out for standard cooper S calipers (needed new calipers in a hurry)

the calipers are massive (nearly 50mm diamiter pistons) but are incredibly light , they have been modified to fit under 10 inch wheels (someone took a grinding wheel to them, (photos attached))

i recon they would be worth fixing before next season as they should be an inprovement on the standard cooper ones, but does anyone know how they might compare to 4-Pot calipers?

Attached Files

#2 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I would hazard a guess that the previous owner installed them to reduce the unsprung weight. The fluid movement required to push the pistons may change the travel of the pedal, but then this depends on the rest of the system (mc and rwc). They look old so maybe a light alternative to the current in favour 4 pots..

I would doubt they will improve the braking persay, but they may feel different.

But then I have never run them spits all IMO.

#3 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

These cailpers are 4lbs lighter than a std S caliper. work well, but will not fit under S steel wheels and some alloys.

#4 beaker the muppet

beaker the muppet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

any idia what type of caliper they might be?

i am hoping to get some off the shelf pads rather than getting some made up but i have no idia what model of caliper these are. i guess girling dont make these any more :(

#5 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

They should take standard 7.5 inch S pads, if i remember correctly they were used on the rear of some F3 cars

#6 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Girling racing caliper from the 60s, but still produced after that. Use Lotus Elan front pads from 62/73, so there is no problem finding pads. Std S pads do not fit.

#7 beaker the muppet

beaker the muppet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

good news, found out that the calipers are Girling AR (2 inch pistons) that were used on a number of historic race cars, thanks to everyone particuarly Ivor for putting me down the right path. no sortage of pad options now :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users