Photo
- - - - -

are front & rear brake drums interchangeable?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

i have a riley elf with drums all round. have noticed that one of the rear drums is scored badly. as i am ditching the front drums for cooper s discs i have in the garage, can i use one of the good front drums on the back?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

If you're fitting discs then you'll need new drums anyway. The disc setup is 2" wider in track width than the drums so you need 1" spacer drums at the rear to move the rear wheels out by a similar amount. If you don't do this it will adversely effect the handling. You will need longer wheel studs too, and some wheel arch extensions.

You could use your front drums at the rear along with 1" spacers and longer studs but it's probably easier and a similar price to get spacer drums.

#3 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

already sorted the rear track width a set of alloy spacers and longer studs i had in the garage - i'm good to use the front drums on the back then. a few more quid still in the pocket then :lol:

#4 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

should be ok without arches - alloy spacers on the back are 3/4" on narrow drums - front is cooper s discs with alloy 4pots. shame aboput the ride height (hydro)

Attached Files

#5 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

When you change to discs make sure you also change the rear brake cylinders to the later ones with a smaller diameter piston otherwise you will suffer with locking up of the rear !

#6 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

When you change to discs make sure you also change the rear brake cylinders to the later ones with a smaller diameter piston otherwise you will suffer with locking up of the rear !

later ones as in post '84?

#7 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

later ones as in post '84?

Yup cars that came with disc brakes from the factory had the different rear cylinders !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users