5 replies to this topic

#1 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Or rather a rounded switch bezel into an oblong hole.

I purchased a new switch bezel, since the car previously didn't have one. but when i've come to fit it, it's become quite apparent that the hole in which it's supposed to fit is not the right shape, it's rectangle with rounded corners, and is obviously made for something else.

Has my car been fitted with a cheap copy? Alot of pictures i've seen of lower dash rails show them as vinyl covered, whilst mine is just metal. is that normal? It's a 1984 city.

Posted Image

Apologies, my camera is broken, so this is my art in motion!

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

two things spring to mind:

you need to fit the choke and heater cable after the bezel is installed. the cables go though both bezel and lower dash.

Has the dash been modified to fit a stereo?

#3 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, my drawing is a bit unclear.The heater cable and choke are fitted through the bezel and lower dash. The pic was just to give an idea of how the bezel shape compares to the slot.

As far as being modified to fit a stereo, i don't believe the slot is big enough to fit a stereo on.

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

hmmm. it's not "normal" to have just a metal lower dash in your year of car. I suppose somone could have retro fitted a different dash and then removed it, or just removed it when it got tatty. IIRC, the padding does have some shape to it around that bezel so that it sort of "flush" fits. I don't have mine anymore, and I wasn't even gonna fit a bezel, so I've never really taen a hell of a lot of otice.

#5 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, your bezel is the correct shape. It's designed to go in the padded lower dash rail that most Minis have.... Yours is obviously missing, you can get lower dash rails on Ebay very cheaply.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

Yup, lower dash facia is missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users